Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 & 2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is going to sound a little wired and unorthodox.

Last night I was filling my E320 with Premium Fuel while it was running, I know your not supposed to do that. Any ways the fuel pump did not shut off at the dollar value I had selected resulting in the tank overfilling.

When this happened that car girgled a little then discharged a large backfire and stopped.

After cleaning up the spilled fuel I attempted to restart the car with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this and how I can fix it.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
wow I did my first overspill with my W202 c280 during my roadtrip back in march. the overfill valve did what it had to do and ejected the extra fuel. It was maybe a spill of no more than 1/2 a cup. Of course my engine was off. I waited a few minutes with the gas cap up and let any immediate vapors evporate and then apologized to the gas attendant, sealed the cap, started the car and left. W124s are ver similar as part of the hand down aspect that mercedes has with S Tech handing down to E-Tech whihc inturn is handed down to as C technology. Typically the fuel level sensor would go out with constant overfill and if it is wicked old and one was done.

Btw that backfire would have scared the hell out of me thinking the car exploded. =/. sadly it seems that the fuel/air mixture just got toasted.

It may have been running so rich that ast the ignition cycle finished and went into the exhaust cycle the valve open but not all of the fuel had been burned off. so ity seems now you have engine completely doused with fuel all over the pistons. You may have drowned the engine. What you could do is bring the car to your garage or outside when there is little mosture/low humidity and pop open the spark plugs. It will open a gap to each cylinder and hopefully will evaporate the excess fuel. After you do this as a precaution syphone 1-2 gallons of fuel out of the car. The more the better since the tank will be holding nominal levels of fuel again. Then give it a shot, and do not pump the pedal to start the car that will feed more fuel than necessary.

Can Anyone verify my last paragraph. It sound like a reasonable scenario. But my approached to remedy it may be flawed somewhere.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,454 Posts
Also wrong forum for your car. Might get better help there also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts