Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't driven the car much since I found out about a torn outer front CV boot that hasn't been replaced, yet, because the the axle hub nut it corroded on, so I wasn't able to install the axle that I bought last night.

About a week ago I got out of my truck and looked over at the car and noticed that the rear was sitting much higher than the front. I immediately suspected the accumulators.

I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it's about 1.5" lower than the minimum mark - I haven't added any.

I thought back to the last couple times that I had driven it and recalled that I thought that it was riding harsher than usual.

I measured the wheel well maximum height this evening and the left side was 29.75" and the right side was 29.25"

Could a malfunction of the accumulators cause the rear to be too high, rather than too low? If not, what else could be the suspect?

About 3 months or so ago, a section of leaky hydraulic line was replaced near the right rear wheel, but the care rode fine after that and no other related work has been done since.

I searched, but didn't find any posts about rear height increasing - only lowering.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

What does that arm look like?

Is there a link? I seem to have poor skills locating existing sticky's or threads when seeking info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s under the car immediately to the side of the differential on the passenger side, the valve link connects to the valve and sway bar. You’ll see it come out of the side of the valve and connect to the sway bar! Good luck!

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll go lay in the snow in a little while and take a look.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,372 Posts
Thanks. I'll go lay in the snow in a little while and take a look.
Come for a break from swimming pool cleaning as with this weekend warm weather prediction I might open swimming season.
So that was a cold shower ;)
Anyway, I hope you are joking as getting under differential require safe way to lift the car. Slippery driveway doesn't count as safe and I hope you have good quality ramps at least?

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You answered my question about needing to raise the car to do this inspection.

I didn't see anything laying on a wet towel on the sloped driveway in the light rain.

The weather conditions don't look good for me to investigate anytime soon.

I'll take it to a local mechanic for inspection.

I lost my job last week, so money is even tighter how than it was before.

I don't have any health insurance at the moment, so I don't want to take any unnecessary risks of injury.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The leveling valve linkage was disconnected and not functioning as shown in the attached pics.

A temporary fix was achieved with a nylon cable tie, as shown in the pics.

The hydraulic fluid is now only about 1/8” below the minimum mark on the reservoir on my driveway, which is higher at the front end of the car, so the level will probably be fine when parked on a level surface.

Suggestions for a longer term solution?

Should I replace the cable tie with some sort of wire of similar thickness? If yes, which wire material?

Are there any sources for new linkages, or should I check with with a scrap yard for used?

Thanks.

70728F9F-324B-41CB-9044-7E4230130F86.jpeg 77C85572-7871-4769-B300-562C46966C68.jpeg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,372 Posts
Depends on your access, you might try to find the part on JY, buy it new, or have the old one welded.
Than growing up in communism, I was stunned how temporary solutions can last long years ;)

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I grew up on an old farm. Creative engineering was a way of life. Actually, I've applied creative engineering to most of my jobs. Why buy new stuff, tools, jigs, etc., if you have "resources" all around you that can be worked, combined and modified in some way to do what you needed it to do? All of my jobs have been indoors and and equipment smaller than cars.

I don't think that welding will work in this situation, since the linkage came about that the joint that needs to pivot.

At least I can drive the car again.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
972 Posts
A good bounce might sever the plastic zip tie. Try a heavy duty bolt just smaller than the hole, then use jam nuts or a nylon locknut so it’s tight without binding the linkage.

I’ll what my wagon has when it gets back.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts