Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the site so I am still getting used to everything here. I couldnt find a search bar to search the threads for this topic so I'm gonna ask this in my own thread

I have a 1999 E300TD, with 200,000 miles. Great runner. I sold my truck, and am trying to figure out how to tow my jetskis and trailer (1500lbs) and my flatbed for dirtbikes (1000lbs fully loaded)

I've done some research, although the info is scarce, it seems like these cars, once installed with a hitch, can tow around 2,000lbs. In this case, I know my skis and trailer are around 1500lbs (480lbs for each ski, 400ish pounds for the trailer). I did more research and U-Haul sells a 2000lb approved hitch for 150 bucks. I can do the install myself, and I am planning on installing a bigger trans cooler. In this case, I dont know the history of the car and if it ever had any trans work or even oil changes done, so ill also be having the trans shop to check the fluid and top it off, but not drain and change it.

I do hae alot of experience with these cars, my dad has had 2 since 1998 and Ive been driving them for 3 years.

With y'alls experience, do you think my situation is too heavy for the car? Again, Trailer will be max 1500ish pounds. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Bare in mind in CA any trailer rated 1500lb or more needs to have brakes.
How much did that load weigh? And from what I know, the UK OM606's had a bigger transmission cooler, so I bet that helps your effort. They came with hitches too from the factory.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
Per owner statement that swimming pool on the trailer was about 2800 kg.
All European hitches for W210 are 2.5 tons rated.
If you seek the forum, our UK member hook up 3 tons to his W210 wagon.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,241 Posts
Of course, the problem is trying to get the factory hitch here in USA. Guess good old Americans think that only trucks can tow heavy stuff.....lol

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
There is no factory hitch for MB.
The best are made by Westfalia.
I tried to import hide-a-hitch from Poland with 2.5t rating, but shipping was cost prohibitive, while using it with US underrated capacity would bring legal issues.
You push a button and hitch is on. You push it second time and it is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Per owner statement that swimming pool on the trailer was about 2800 kg.
All European hitches for W210 are 2.5 tons rated.
If you seek the forum, our UK member hook up 3 tons to his W210 wagon.
Thats crazy. For me, hitch rating is no problem as ill never tow anything thatll surpass 2,000lbs. For me, I was worried about the abuse 1500lbs, or 750ish kilos, will put on the transmission of my E300. It seems like that worry is kind of unneccesary if people are putting over 2 tons behind these cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no factory hitch for MB.
The best are made by Westfalia.
I tried to import hide-a-hitch from Poland with 2.5t rating, but shipping was cost prohibitive, while using it with US underrated capacity would bring legal issues.
You push a button and hitch is on. You push it second time and it is gone.
I know in the US there is not a factory hitch but in the UK there was. I looked and uHaul has some hitches thatll work on the W210 chassis but are only rated for 2,000lbs, which for me is more than enough. I am just worried about the health of the trans with 200k on it, but it seems like people are throwing much, much more behind their 722.6 transmissions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course, the problem is trying to get the factory hitch here in USA. Guess good old Americans think that only trucks can tow heavy stuff.....lol
Haha yeah, I just sold my Ford F350 7.3 because I realized I just didnt use it for what it was intended. Tossing 3 bikes in the bed or towing a 1500lb jetski trailer didnt need 650lbft of torque. For me like ive said, my only worry is the life of the stock auto 722.6 trans with 200k, towing 1500ish lbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You worry too much
Better to be safe than sorry? Lol. Ill take it as a compliment. I think I get the message, I'm gonna be fine. My concern was just the high miles on my trans but with more research not only have I seen the 722.6 trans in the ML320 with a 5k towing rating, but people with high miles towing all the time.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I had a friend with W124 wagon break the flex discs on a trip pulling motorcycle trailer with 4 dirt bikes plus a bunch of gear in the wagon.

I checked my discs at 200k and there were small cracks, so I replaced them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1997 E420 W210 Towing

Hello,
I want to Transport my 1970 w108 from Toronto to Los Angeles. I have a 1997 E420. Figured it would be cheaper to do a road trip and buy a trailer and sell it when i get to my destination. I am wondering if this is possible / comfortable on my car.

Or is this dangerous and unwise. I see people towing all sorts of stuff. My 97 e420 has 70000km on it so i dont want to ruin it with a 4000km Journey

Any advise or trailer hitches / trailers to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im just curious at a 4000km Trip .. Will it kill my transmission. Brakes can be changed but i do not want to wreck my transmission. I think my w108 weighs are 1.8 Tons + Trailer weight.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,241 Posts
I honestly don't know. I know in Europe people tow much higher weights with their 2.0 supercharged Mercedes, but then again the towing standards are different. Over there they have a minimum of 5% tongue weight, over here it's a minimum of 15%.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
Hello,
I want to Transport my 1970 w108 from Toronto to Los Angeles. I have a 1997 E420. Figured it would be cheaper to do a road trip and buy a trailer and sell it when i get to my destination. I am wondering if this is possible / comfortable on my car.

Or is this dangerous and unwise. I see people towing all sorts of stuff. My 97 e420 has 70000km on it so i dont want to ruin it with a 4000km Journey

Any advise or trailer hitches / trailers to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks
Beside the need for strong hitch, that was never available in America, you will have legal issue.
Those wagons/sedans never have been rated for heavy towing on this continent, however if the vehicle has US registration - you can register it as a commercial with high GCVWR.
That would satisfy potential DOT control.
No clue how the legal side looks in Canada.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts