Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E300 DT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a 1999 E300 turbodiesel, 129000 km, which runs beautifully, but twice now has suddenly quit during hard acceleration. The engine has died - no hesitating, just sudden silence with the check engine light on. It cranked but would not start immediately after, but when left to sit for a minute it started and ran normally. The codes were p1220 (fuel delivery) and p1223 (rack). My local mechanic, who is a genius with older diesels, has no experience on this generation and is stumped. I've had VW and Audi diesels, but everything fuel related was strictly mechanical with them.

Any ideas?

A couple of other questions - when the engine is cold the injector pump or something in that area of the engine is noisy. When I first heard the noise I thought it was a bad bearing. After the engine has run for a minute or so the noise stops, so I assume it's related to the adjustment of injection timing when cold. Has anyone else heard this sound? Is it normal?

When I accelerate hard I get a lot of black smoke. The engine produces none when starting or running gently. Is there a way to reduce the amount of fuel injected when the turbo is producing a lot of boost? Also, I thought the E300s had a particulate filter.

Thanks,

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,471 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the computer with wheels you have trouble with.
From what I know you can't do anything to engine management without Star-mark computer, what is high-tech shops only item.
Than those engines at this mileage are famous for having fuel system orings deterioration. Check the archive for more topics and to start see the clear tubings connecting injector pump with other appliances. If you see air bubble in them that might be your answer.

·
Registered
1999 E300 DT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My problem was an aftermarket diesel power boost module. When it was removed the problem was gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts