Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the Harmonic Balancer on my engine with 142,000 Kms on it. It is one of the recalled units but here in Canada they won't replace it after several calls to Mercedes. The Balancer is OEM (Cortico), the Bolt Is Mercedes and I also have the HB counterholder. The first question I ask is, " how long should it take an Indie to replace the HB and does the Radiator need to be removed to replace the HB?" The second question I would like to ask is, "according to my research, when installing the HB for proper seating of the HB you must torque the center bolt to 200 Nm (147.5 ft lb to be exact) and then tighten a further 90 degrees, is this correct?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did my HB last month, I took approx 15 Minutes. Yes that torque is correct. As long as you are in there you should replace the front crank seal as well. On the 99 you do not need to remove the radiator unless they want to get an impact wrench in there which will probably not remove the HB bolt anyway. I had to break it loose with a 3/4 T bar and a 3" pipe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock Harmonic Balancer Bolt

I noticed you said you had a 99 also. My harmonic balancer retaining bolt is an Internal Allen Head (6 sided) and the replacement is a regular 27 mm (external) head bolt. The problems I'm having now are 1/ I've purchased a set of 1/2 inch drive metric allen head sockets that go from 14mm to 17 mm and the one I need is either a 15mm or a 16mm 2/ I need someone to tell me correct size of allen head socket and how I might go by obtaining one. A mechanic friend of mine suggested that I buy a 15mm and 16mm regular head bolts and putting the head of the bolt in the hole where the allen head socket would go and that would give me the size. Does this make sense and if so are 15 and 16 mm allen head sockets readily obtainable of is this a Mercedes special tool?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I noticed you said you had a 99 also. My harmonic balancer retaining bolt is an Internal Allen Head (6 sided) and the replacement is a regular 27 mm (external) head bolt. The problems I'm having now are 1/ I've purchased a set of 1/2 inch drive metric allen head sockets that go from 14mm to 17 mm and the one I need is either a 15mm or a 16mm 2/ I need someone to tell me correct size of allen head socket and how I might go by obtaining one. A mechanic friend of mine suggested that I buy a 15mm and 16mm regular head bolts and putting the head of the bolt in the hole where the allen head socket would go and that would give me the size. Does this make sense and if so are 15 and 16 mm allen head sockets readily obtainable of is this a Mercedes special tool?
It is 17mm allen.

Schwaben 17mm Allen Socket, 1/2" Drive

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HB Bolt 17mm

Thanks Witek M. I have the 17mm Allen socket but when I tried to fit it into the bolt it seemed too big. Upon further inspection and another try I realized that it fit so precisely that the build up of rust and road grime was preventing the allen socket from going into the bolt so I soaked a piece of paper towel in penetrating oil and packed it into the hole and let it sit overnight and then cleaned out the debris. As you know the bolt head is pretty hard to see from above the engine so I had to use a mirror.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Witek M. I have the 17mm Allen socket but when I tried to fit it into the bolt it seemed too big. Upon further inspection and another try I realized that it fit so precisely that the build up of rust and road grime was preventing the allen socket from going into the bolt so I soaked a piece of paper towel in penetrating oil and packed it into the hole and let it sit overnight and then cleaned out the debris. As you know the bolt head is pretty hard to see from above the engine so I had to use a mirror.
You will also need the Crank holder Part Number 112-0040

The socket can be purchased from Baum's tools. It should be a 17mm. They will verify the correct Allen socket

I recommend a 3/4" drive T bar and a 3/4 to 1/2" adaptor and a 3' length of pipe to remove the bolt. There is Lock tite Blue in the treads and it is a bear to break loose.
I broke two 1/2 inch breaker bars trying to remove the bolt.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just a suggestion,

You may want to remove the fan shroud, which can be taken out with just 2 clips and some wiggle. That should give you plenty of room to work with. Since you're there, you may as well replace the idle pulley, tensioner and serpentine bell if they still original.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts