Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody, this is my first time writing in the w208 forum and i have a few questions about a 1999 clk430, which my little brother wants to buy. carfax shows no accidents and i will also get the service records on monday.
1) guy is asking $14,000, do you think price is fair? - it;s black/black, 17'amg wheels, sport, exterior and interior look like new. it sounds and drives great.
2) when turning it on, it says "service is due", but it doesn't say it it's service a or b. how can you tell whick one it is?
3) what are the common problems with that particular year/model and what should i check more carefully?:confused:

thank you in advance

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,680 Posts
Common problems are the brake light switch goes bad, the power seats occasionally blow fuses, the motor mounts eventually need replacing (normal wear item), some pixels on the LCD go bad, the rear axle may need resealing, the driveshaft flex discs wear out over time (cheap and simple repair), and some people say the dash gets cracks on the early models.

Things you may wish to ask about – have the spark plugs been changed? They were due four years ago, and are due again next year. When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed (it’s supposed to be done every other year)? When was the last time the coolant was changed (it’s supposed to be done every third year)? When was the fuel filter last changed (it’s supposed to be done once every four years)?

If the car is on a regular maintenance schedule, it will last a very long time. IHTH

·
Registered
CLK 430 AMG
821 Posts
That's not a bad price for a 99' edition...But i would tell him to get the svc done before you buy the ride, it makes no sense to buy a ride when the svc is needed, that's the least seller can do for you, lord know what svc plan it may need if records was'nt kept up!!!!

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
When I sold my 2002 TL TYPE S, the 'srs' light was on, and the car had JUST come out of warranty, I paid a little over a grand to get the system fixed. THEN I sold it to the buyer, so this guy should make sure this car is in TOP operation shape, before you buy it.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the replies guys, i got the service records today, and it seems like the guy had done all the preventive maintanance regularly, he said it's only due for an oil change, and that he won't do it, just wants to sell. took the price down to $13.4k, so i guess now is up to my brother if he wants to buy it or not, but i think he will get it. thanx again.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
That's a decent deal, I'd bite. Only an oil change? Not too bad...besides, I, personally actually enjoy working on my car, and I'm sure most of the people on here would agree with that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea market seems soft on these clks. I have a 99 430 for sale with 103000 all services done for 14000 and I'm just getting a few bites here and there. Seems like convertibles really bring more money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts