Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leasing a 1999 CLK 430. Every summer for the past 2 years on a really hot day the cd player goes static after about 20 to 30 minutes of use. Sounds are high pitched with crackles...static (almost like a needle scratching across a record, but more digital). Only on hot days...at least in the 80's. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong. I know I'm not lying. The key here is the heat ,I figure(only thing that is constant). What can I tell the dealer to look for?? Never in the winter...only summer. It gets so bad sometimes that when I go back to the radio ,after I hear static, the radio will go in and out every 10 seconds....rythmically. Almost like the cd changer is still trying to do something. It results in me turning off the radio completely. Then the next day it's fine....until it gets hot! Someone please help....summer is here and I need my CD player. And I think the dealer thinks I'm making this up.<br> Thanks ,<br> David

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David - this may sound weird, but do you have a cell phone anywhere near your radio? That happened to me once and I figured out it was because I had put my cell phone in the open space near the radio. Once I moved my cell phone, the radio was fine. Probably not the problem you are having because yours seems to be related to high temperatures, but you never know...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes I have my cell phone in the compartment above the radio. But the noise happens with and without my cell phone. I really wish that was it!! I think the hot weather has more to do with it. I don't know that much about wiring...can hot weather make wires expand?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: please someone give me some advice!!

Sounds like some kind of interference - maybe caused by the air conditioner or ? Maybe when it's hot there is moisture that causes a bad connection? If you have the same luck I do with the dealers, they will just say they've never heard of that problem before. Good luck figuring it out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you using a regular cd in the changer or a copied one? The dealer said the cd copies are not compatible with the MBZ cd changer. When you find out what is causing the problem, please post the reason - I'm curious because I have lots of problems with the dealer installed cd changer and phone. Did your cd player come with the car or did you have it installed later?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no copied cd's. The CD changer was factory installed. I am still waiting for a real hot day so I can drive to the dealership and show them the noise. I was told by a friend that it could be a sensor malfunction. When the Cd changer gets too hot a sensor will shut it off...maybe mine isn't working in the heat?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: please someone give me some advice!!

yeah...I like how they act like I'm making this up. Just replace everything!!! But they won't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts