Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Since this CL600 is new to me, and it need a lot of love, I'm going to use this thread to document its "recovery". So far, I have identified 55 items that need replacing or repair in the interior alone. Luckily then exterior is in better shape, and the drive train seems well off (although the ESP and ABS systems have shut down a few times after spirited driving).

Here are some pics:

First up, a Stage 0 tune (Spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, etc.). Also clean the MAF sensors, replace the broken dipstick and do some exploratory probing.

Future plans are:
*Replace those horrid 20" Strada wheels with a set of Carlsson 1/15 18" wheels I have owned for over 15 years (they were on my 1988 300CE, been in storage a long time). They are currently being refurbished, and will be installed as soon as they are ready. The 20" wheels are so out of balance that they shake at high speeds, and cause the whole car to vibrate when stopping.
*Install a set of H&R Springs to get that arse end down from the sky. The combo of the 18" wheels and H&R springs should get the car setting where I want it, and looking less... well... pimpstick-y.
*Full dual exhaust. The plan here is to get the sound much louder. Not like straight pipe loud, or super annoying loud. More like, "that's right, this IS a V12" kind of loud. Not trying to take away from the class of the CL, more like trying to remind the world that yes, this car is a GT car, and here's the proof... "GRRRRrrrRRRrrRR". :)

Any more than this will have to wait, as I do have another project going on right now. I'm replacing the engine in my 2000 Volvo V70R work car with a 475+ AWHP, with a 6 speed manual transmission.

I'll update as I go. That's enough for now.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
This Cl600 looks very nice, I'm happy your replacing the wheels :D. Good luck with it!

Oh and no such thing as a CL600 Grand Edition... There is a 1999 S500 Grand Edition, but thats a sedan and only 600 made.

·
Registered
2004 S500. 2000 CLK430 Cab, 1999 C43 AMG. 1999 S500. 1999 S320. 1977 230 4 spd, 1972 280SEL 4.5
186 Posts
Nice find.

By the way, I didn't think that the CL600 was made as a Grand Edition.

I thought that was limited the last few S500's.

·
Registered
94 S600 COUPE, SOLD 95 S320SWB, SOLD 96 S320LWB, SOLD 92 300E, SOLD 91 190E, SOLD 48 DODGE D24
92 Posts
Congrats. i was also looking to buy this car but after reading all the bad reviews from the seller Auto direct and talking to the sales guys their and not getting the correct answers i walked away from it. I which you the best and i ill be following your thread to see al the great transformations that your new CL600 will go thru.

·
Registered
99" CL500 , 99' CL500, 97' S500, 01' S500, 02’ G500, 09’ G550
2,153 Posts
Good job, well done. If you decide to sell the fender moldings, let me know. BTW, that white doesn't look right? or is it just me? Anyway, you'll find this site (and these guys) to be awesome.

Think its that white grill that throws it off.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Great find...Beautiful car!!

Now, the black and white..Their has been a handful of V12 owners here that have cooked the engine here. I would do what I say to late model W140 owners is to replace some of the cooling parts. Follow this link to post 4 - Third paragraph.. Follow the links to preserve that rare engine.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1922489-new-guy-here.html#post7896809.

Replace your rear-end fluid. Replace your tranny fluid and dissect the filter, so you know what shape your tranny is in. Photograph the pan and filter.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1878729-what-do-you-guys-think-about.html

Also, do a fluid exchange on your rear suspension.

This whole article is great, but post 16 will help..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1697808-please-someone-help-me-theyre-killing.html

Enjoy your car. Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the great response,

Good to know about the GE status. I was under the impression that all '99 CL's were Grand Editions due to how few of them there are. Nice to dispel rumors when you can.

The paint is in very bad shade. It really needs some detailing. Also the previous owner had the side skirts color matched by the dealer when he purchase it. Not my cup of tea, but I can live with it ( I prefer the two tone look). And, the grill, headlight wipers and door handles were done aftermarket, and are obviously not the same white. They are going to be replaces with factory finished ones as well. I do plan on wrapping the car in vinyl for paint protection once it is detailed. If the paint looks good after a the detailing, then I will wrap in a thin gloss clear protective layer. But, if it still looks off, then it will be Matte White with a dark Royal Blue roof ('cause black roofs are played out ;) ).

Yeah, the Auto Direct guys are a bit shady, and the sales guy put in charge of this car had no clue what it was, or anything about it. When I went there to look at it, I stepped over his head and dealt with the owners directly. I got them to drop the price a bit due to how many things needed to be fixed; well, enough to pay for the transportation to Seattle anyway.

I will defiantly make the transmission, rear end and suspension a priority, and part of the Stage 0 I am planning. I mean to baseline it before any, if few modification, can be done. But, I refuse to baseline an ill-maintained car; that's a waste of Dyno time and money.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
skip

The paint is in very bad shade. It really needs some detailing. Also the previous owner had the side skirts color matched by the dealer when he purchase it. Not my cup of tea, but I can live with it ( I prefer the two tone look).

skip.
if its a 99 than it came out the factory "color matched". Only the pre 96 have the two tone if Im not mistaken.

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Could this be the reason why I keep getting P0173 codes? It's a vacuum line that runs from the Throttle Body to a device marked MOV on top ( i know that's not the part number, but I have no idea what it is).

Thanks,

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
Does those headrests say T Mac? Good god people do some horrid shit to cars. I am assuming that the previous owner did that and now you are stuck cleaning up the pieces, I feel your pain, my old CL500 was the same way, just minus the headrest embroidery. If you are in the market for some wheels, I have a set of 19" Lorinser RSK3's for sale. Check the classifieds they are posted up.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Could this be the reason why I keep getting P0173 codes? It's a vacuum line that runs from the Throttle Body to a device marked MOV on top ( i know that's not the part number, but I have no idea what it is).

Thanks,
Really cant tell from this picture.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SEC: 1995 S600 Coupe: 1993 600SEL
377 Posts
That could very well be the problem. The engine is getting un-metered air. I would think you would get a 174 instead of a 173. Reconnect it, clear the codes and get back to us.

Pete

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drove it around a bit yesterday and today. Since I re-plugged in the loose vacuum tubes(found another one at the back of the engine), the P0173 code and P0300-P0306 codes have not returned. Also the rough idle and noticeable misfires have stopped. So, that's better.

But, there is a new problem. When driving, under medium to hard acceleration, there is a knocking sound coming from mid to rear of the car. The knocking sound seems to increase as the speed increases; it is very rhythmic as well. I think it's something interfering with the drive line or axles. And, this sound happens only under hard acceleration, I think, due to the rear end squating down from takeoff. When the rear squats, something is hitting something. I'll try to get under there to take a look tomorrow.

Also, if I turn off the ESP for a short period of time, it stays off until the car is turned off, then restarted. I noticed this due to the over-sized wheels that the previous owner installed. Basically, when turning left, the Driver's front tire will drag on the concrete of my parking garage, causing the traction control to kick in and apply the brakes on that wheel. In order to stop that from happening (until I can replace the wheels), I turn off the ESP using the dash switch until I get out of the garage. But, when I try to turn it back on, it will not reengage (the caution triangle in the speedo. stay lit). Again, I have to stop the car, then start it again for the ESP to reengage. Also, if I hit a pothole or large bump in the road, the ESP and ABS lights come on. Not sure what's up there, but it all points to these wheels gotta go... like, ASAFP

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have not had a chance to get under the car and look at the flex discs. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow.
But in the mean time, I did fix/rewire the aftermarket stereo wiring. The previous owner had what looks like a nice system installed at one time. But, half the speakers are missing, the other half were not working. And, don't even get me started on speaker placement...
In the doors, they installed JL Audio separates: 6.5" and 1" tweeter (cut into the door panel, just over the pull handle.. so pissed about this). Also, it looks like they installed a 5.25", but these speakers were removed. The 6.5" speakers were connected to the Kenwood head unit's outputs instead of the JL Audio 6 Channel Amp in the trunk. The tweeters were connected to the crossover, which is connected to the Amp. Go figure...
I corrected this by running new 16/4 speaker wire from the crossover to the door, then connecting the tweeters and 6.5" to it, disconnecting the head unit's speaker output. The rears speakers were not as bad. A set of Focal Utopia 5.25"/1"tweeter components. These were connected to their crossovers that were silicone mounted to the rear deck, under the cover. I relocated the crossovers by the Amp, then ran new 16/4 lines to the speakers. That is when I noticed the rear deck... it's gone; like, completely cut out gone. Whoever installed the 10" JL Audio sub cut the rear deck out of the car! Then, made this fiberglass funnel so the sub output would be directed into the cabin.

This is it. I will not be re-installing this thing. In fact, by removing it, I got about 25% of my trunk back. I need to figure out what to do about the rear deck. Here's some pics of the hack job:

Also, while trying to diagnose the trunk latch not pulling the trunk lid shut and the handle not extending, I found a vacuum line that goes to nothing. Can anyone help identify what/where this line goes to:

It is located directly below the driver's side tail light.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
So they ported into the cabin... not the way I would of done it but you can work with that, doesn't seem like the cut is too bad of a job... looks symmetrical

That vac line is the same way on both my cars.

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perhaps that is the intake, or air balancer, for the vacuum system. It does seem to have a filter of some sort on it.

Replaced the stock D2R 4000K HID low beam bulbs with 8000K bulbs today. The light blue color looks so much better on a white car, imo. Also replaced the instrument panel back lights with hyper white LED lights, the turn indicator with green LEDs and the back lights for the information display and low fuel warning light with amber LEDs. Pics soon.

·
Registered
1999 CL600, 1997 C230
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Checked the flex discs, front and rear. Both look great. No flex or fraying. So, the noise is either from the drive shaft center bearing, or the rear diff. Kinda hoping for the center bearing cause a rear diff. would be horrid.

I can't be 100% sure since the cat converters are in the way. The part is ~$30, so it's worth replacing either way. Going to need new bolts for the exhaust system. The old ones are so covered in rust, I'm afraid they will not unscrew, probably just cut the old ones off and replace when the exhaust goes back in.

I've been hunting for possible race cats since I hate removing parts and putting them back in if there is a possibility of an upgrade in performance. I've struck out so far, but I'll keep trying.
I am going to purchase an eisenmann silencer to replace the rotting lorinzer one. Race version with 2x90mm oval tips.
Also plan to remove the suitcase silencer as well. Just going to have straight pipes made to extend the cat output to the axle.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
If you want to get rid of that lorinser muffler let me know. Those tips look interesting to me and it might convince me to install my lorinser body kit.

Ask fkr the leds in the corner light carful not throw a fuse. These 1157 bulbs are the worst to get working properly. Thats why i ended up using custom led bulbs which cost me $75 to make them work. I have 8000k on my w140 but its too blue, if i knew you were looking for 8k i would have sent those to you. I ordered 6000k.

Here is a bad picture of the leds, they flash orange when turn signal is used. The xenon was not warmed up thats why it looks bluish.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 136 Posts