Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering

if I could get some assistance

I just bought a 1999 CL500 for a fairly good price

The car has a couple minor faults

1) The seatbelt retractor keeps going in and out of the mechanic sporadically while I am driving. How do I fix it?

2) The mirror on the driver's side can retract but it has no controls to move the mirrors. The passenger side can control mirror position but cant retract.

3) The cover for the back console is broken. The clips broke off so I need a new cover.:thumbsup:

Also, any good places to get parts?

Any advice on how to fix the issues?

Those are the only things wrong

·
Registered
93 300te 93 500sel euro 96 s500 euro sold 94 s420 sold 99 cl500 RIP 91 300ce SOLD 99 clk cab garbage
395 Posts
the seat belt arm situation is caused by a defective door switch ...it is the black push button switch that also controls the interior lights when u open and close the door.

its about a 15 dollar part if i remember correctly.. Not sure about mirrors.

i have a wrecked 1999 cl I have started to part. Let me know what you are talking about with the rear console. NOt sure i understand but chances are i have it.

good luck

·
Registered
1997 s500 coupe blk/blk
145 Posts
Hey Alantas do you have the 3rd brake light? I'm looking for black ,mine is all cracked up from the sun.

·
Registered
93 300te 93 500sel euro 96 s500 euro sold 94 s420 sold 99 cl500 RIP 91 300ce SOLD 99 clk cab garbage
395 Posts
sorry bud i sold it a while ago as it was brand new. Mine did the same thing..not that bad at the dealer if i remember correctly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ATL

Would pictures help?

I can take pics of the part... if that would help...

Basically for the seatbelt situation, the seatbelt for the front seats, it has a mechanism to push it out and pull it in. The push out puts the seatbelt in front of you. Well the mechanism keeps pulling in the retractor and pushing it back out sporadically LOL... any info on how to fix it and the part number?

·
Registered
395 Posts
open the door..when the door is open look at the middle of the door frame where the hinges are..there is a little rectangular box with a push button in the middle of it..the box is not even an inch big. you can push the plunger in and it will pop out on its own since the plunger is spring loaded..I dont know the part number but if you squeeze on the outsides of the rectangle and pull you will be able to remove the whole switch..once removed look for the part number there..its a simple procedure very self explanatory once you locate the switch itself...its the only part on the inner door frame by the hinges that moves and is plastic

hope this helps

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Hi AT

Basically for the seatbelt situation, the seatbelt for the front seats, it has a mechanism to push it out and pull it in. The push out puts the seatbelt in front of you. Well the mechanism keeps pulling in the retractor and pushing it back out sporadically LOL... any info on how to fix it and the part number?
Well, the Seatbelt Butler obviously works, just a question of why it operates at random!

I am no Auto' electrical expert but to my reckoning (in my '97 model CL500) it is initiated when you turn on the ignition (when sat in the seat!) and it is either retracted after around 30 seconds (this is if you sit there and don't put it on)...or it will retract straight away when the buckle is clicked into the seatbelt receiver!

Also worth noting that if a passenger is not sat in their seat, the seatbelt Butler does not operate on their side (think i am right on this :confused:)

So, it appears the 'system' knows when the door is shut and an occupant is in their respective seat (seat sensor here maybe??) the ignition switch initiates the process and the seatbelt buckle receiver tells the thing to get back where it came from !!........also, what tells the thing to retract after around 30 secs if the belt is not used?...Some kind of Timer switch involved here??

It's a start :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
trust me its the switch i have been talking about...same thing went crazy with mine..driving down the road the passenger arm would go out then go in half way then go out then in..had a mind of its own.. replaced the switch never happened again.

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
I would certainly go along with the door switch...cheap and easy to replace!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the Seatbelt Butler obviously works, just a question of why it operates at random!

I am no Auto' electrical expert but to my reckoning (in my '97 model CL500) it is initiated when you turn on the ignition (when sat in the seat!) and it is either retracted after around 30 seconds (this is if you sit there and don't put it on)...or it will retract straight away when the buckle is clicked into the seatbelt receiver!

Also worth noting that if a passenger is not sat in their seat, the seatbelt Butler does not operate on their side (think i am right on this :confused:)

So, it appears the 'system' knows when the door is shut and an occupant is in their respective seat (seat sensor here maybe??) the ignition switch initiates the process and the seatbelt buckle receiver tells the thing to get back where it came from !!........also, what tells the thing to retract after around 30 secs if the belt is not used?...Some kind of Timer switch involved here??

It's a start :)
yeah, I am not sure what it is, but I will check the door switch...

so far, I have to buckle the seatbelt, even if no one is in passenger seat, and it stops doing it

I think it might also be the seatbelt retractor button itself as it feels broken

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I found the push in button

you think that is it?

the door light is working... its just the seatbelt butler is acting like its on meth LOL

I will give it a try

where do I buy the part?

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Ahh !...thanks for that.

So, it comes back to the door switch which tells the seat belt extender to perform its function (once the driver has turned the Ign' On)

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

One thing I would do before you get too happy driving around. Replace the Heater-Tee Fitting as when the tee fails you have seconds to respond before you ruin the engine. Buy the tee from the dealer-no ebay or aftermarket ones. The tee should be replaced 70k-80k miles.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1320788-evil-lurks-under-hood-really-devil.html?highlight=devil

Enjoy your CL500,

Martin
The OP has the later '99 model...if its anything like my '97 CL500 he wont have the 'T piece !

Still, always good advice though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The one on mine is not started by the door switch. When I start the car, it comes out. Then while driving it goes in and out, like it has a mind of its own.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
The one on mine is not started by the door switch. When I start the car, it comes out. Then while driving it goes in and out, like it has a mind of its own.
Or acts like its on Meth..??

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
The OP has the later '99 model...if its anything like my '97 CL500 he wont have the 'T piece !

Still, always good advice though :thumbsup:
Er, what ???? - :confused:

I have the 99 CL500 and I am sure GLAD I replaced that piece.

IT IS CRITICAL TO CAR SURVIVAL.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts