Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my car's wheels do not lock when I put the car into park. I've read a thread that recomends engaging the emergency brake before putting the car into park, but I'm afraid the damage may be done. What is the most likely cause of my problem and how expensive is it to fix? Would you trust the repair to a general mechanic or only someone who works on MB?

-Brad:(

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,738 Posts
the lock pins may have failed. i would recommend you search to see if there are any articles with your problem in it. i don't know how much it matters but i have always used parking breaks before i engage the shifter to park. I pur the load of the car on the brakes and then easily slide the transmission to park.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
Don't jump to the worst possible problem yet. You need to check to be sure that the linkage is properly working and actuating the linkage on the side of the transmission to fully engage the parking paw in the transmission. You could have a bad bushing in the linkage...

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,738 Posts
excellent point rudedude. i would hate it to be anything inside the transmission! start with easy stuff first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts