Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 C230 Kompressor & 97 Audi A6 Quattro
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! :)

I have a 99 C230 Kompressor. I've gotten the car running great, improved the average MPG by 3-4 via the Bully Dog/ Watch Dog monitor, upgraded the rims & tires (17" AMG & Cooper), cleaned nearly everything under the hood, installed a K & N air filter, & upgraded the stereo in a non-flashy/ridiculous way. I will be sandblasting & repainting the valve cover & coil cover (along with the forward-setting piece of plastic that I call the pulley shield), purchasing & painting a carbon fiber hood (will be painted the same color as the car), & installing sport/racing adjustable coilovers.

After all these improvements I would like to beef the car up a bit, but haven't found many decent options. I've looked into ASP drive pulleys, as well as Kleemans, but they don't make them for my car (as far as I've found). There's the option of ECU flashing, but I'm a bit wary. Consequentally, I figured I would ask my fellow MB enthusiasts. Thank you!

·
Registered
880 Posts
First, you don't have no super car no matter what you do.

Second, if you want better accel for nothing, dump out the spare and everything in the trunk. If you don't use the back seat get rid of everything.

Third, go back to 15" wheels and tires and you'll get better mileage and acceleration. Also, your brakes won't wear out so fast.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
This is a dead horse topic, but worthwhile for a new W202 owner. I will try to summarize everything I have read.

ASP pulley is only choice. You will need to supply them a pulley. Make sure you get the correct pulley. It will add 30hp and 40 ft/lb. You also need to change plugs, fuel pressure regulator and relocate the MAF sensor.

SuperSprint made a header for the M111. Very rare and expensive in the used market. Adds 8hp.

K&N filter has tested no improvement.

Supercharger porting may add 5hp, but Eaton does not reccomend it. They say it adds nothing.

Chip after pulley upgrade may add 1-3hp.

Hi-flow cat may add very small hp, muffler change will not.

There are other more extreme mods I don't know about. Look for a R170 guy named Subby. He knows all the tricks.

I have the ASP and love it. But if you spend too much money you may as well trade for a C43.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

First, you don't have no super car no matter what you do.

Second, if you want better accel for nothing, dump out the spare and everything in the trunk. If you don't use the back seat get rid of everything.

Third, go back to 15" wheels and tires and you'll get better mileage and acceleration. Also, your brakes won't wear out so fast.
1. Oh, I agree that will never be a super car. However, it sure is fun to play around with it & make improvements.

2. I have done some weight reduction here & there, which is also why I've been planning on swapping the hood.

3. This is one of those situations where I should have made one improvement at a time. The improvements in mpg came with changing my driving style (naturally), but that was after I had upgraded to the AMG rims & appropriate new tires. The stock 15" rims were becomming quite corroded, which is why I wanted to swap out & only use them for winter driving. I didn't know that fact about the longer brake pad life though. Why would it make such a difference in that respect? If it's due to increased weight, then that's understandable, but the new rim/tire combination wasn't noticeably different (I've held/carried both). I'm sorry if the question seems basic, but I'm not a mechanic & am always learning new things. :)

Thank you very much for the info & reply! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree

This is a dead horse topic, but worthwhile for a new W202 owner. I will try to summarize everything I have read.

ASP pulley is only choice. You will need to supply them a pulley. Make sure you get the correct pulley. It will add 30hp and 40 ft/lb. You also need to change plugs, fuel pressure regulator and relocate the MAF sensor.

SuperSprint made a header for the M111. Very rare and expensive in the used market. Adds 8hp.

K&N filter has tested no improvement.

Supercharger porting may add 5hp, but Eaton does not reccomend it. They say it adds nothing.

Chip after pulley upgrade may add 1-3hp.

Hi-flow cat may add very small hp, muffler change will not.

There are other more extreme mods I don't know about. Look for a R170 guy named Subby. He knows all the tricks.

I have the ASP and love it. But if you spend too much money you may as well trade for a C43.
I agree, it is a dead horse topic about a car that will never be a supercar. I've wanted to increase the efficiency of the car, along with the overall power if possible. After further research & thought, I may simply discontinue my efforts to make drastic improvements, especially since the day of owning a much faster car is growing ever-nearer.

Still, I have finally found a working ASP pulley distributor. I had searched for over a month before a random Google search two days ago that ended with exactly what I had been looking for. lol The ASP pulley is certainly the only viable choice.

Thank you very much for all the wonderful information! I really appreciate the constructive input, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Before you get the ASP, go ahead and do the MAF relocation. There are a few
Articles about it here. It is cheap, and makes the car feel much more responsive. Also do a decarboning procedure. Check my posts for what I did.

Change your knock sensor. Easy to do, and it is old and holding back power in the high rev band. BMA sells them cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts