Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed, coils around, still #2. Changed wires, plugs, octane booster, injector cleaner numerous times, always 92 octane gas. Reverse, neutral... Seems fine No shake. On acceleration seems fine. Sometimes at idle a miss bow and again. Runs great for a few days, then blam, starts that crap again. Sometimes shut off, restart runs great for 10-15-20 mins, then same thing again.
But I have noticed bow after 3 months of no solution that once in awhile I start and while sitting idling, it will miss here and there, put in gear and acts like a hammer was thrown into a cylender, just once or twice here and there in gear, out of gear, bo differance, just in gear much more drastic it feels. HELP PLEASE ANYONE?

·
Registered
1998 W202 C230 455Kmi ; 2007 W211 E350 210Kmi
23 Posts
This happened to me!!! After compression tests, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, everything that it could be... It ended up being a resistor was blown in my ECU. Bought a used ECU on ebay took the resistor from the ebay ECU and replaced the blown one on my ECU and it runs perfect again.
REASON: My secondary air injection pump stopped working a long time ago and by not changing it, it was blowing fuses. I kept replacing the fuses until it affected my ECU. I replaced the Secondary air injection pump and it stopped blowing the fuse but it was too late because it had already blown the resistor in my ECU.
LESSON: don't drive with the engine light on...

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
463 Posts
I have changed, coils around, still #2. Changed wires, plugs, octane booster, injector cleaner numerous times, always 92 octane gas. Reverse, neutral... Seems fine No shake. On acceleration seems fine. Sometimes at idle a miss bow and again. Runs great for a few days, then blam, starts that crap again. Sometimes shut off, restart runs great for 10-15-20 mins, then same thing again.
But I have noticed bow after 3 months of no solution that once in awhile I start and while sitting idling, it will miss here and there, put in gear and acts like a hammer was thrown into a cylender, just once or twice here and there in gear, out of gear, bo differance, just in gear much more drastic it feels. HELP PLEASE ANYONE?
You're working in the dark not having the engine fault codes checked. Anyway, without a code reader change the MAF, get either a Bosch or Pierberg. You only need the MAF sensor, no need to buy the complete MAF which includes the housing. BTW, even if it's not a MAFfault, you'll have eliminated a host of running issues in the future with a new MAF fitted, especially if the original MAF is still present, they are a service item after all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This happened to me!!! After compression tests, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, everything that it could be... It ended up being a resistor was blown in my ECU. Bought a used ECU on ebay took the resistor from the ebay ECU and replaced the blown one on my ECU and it runs perfect again.
REASON: My secondary air injection pump stopped working a long time ago and by not changing it, it was blowing fuses. I kept replacing the fuses until it affected my ECU. I replaced the Secondary air injection pump and it stopped blowing the fuse but it was too late because it had already blown the resistor in my ECU.
what error code were you getting for the check engine light on?
When the misfires started codes were follows:

P0100 - Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction (replaced: wrecking yard)
P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction (replaced: wrecking yard)
P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control Leak (gross leak) (replaced EGR valve: wrecking yard)
P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control Leak (small leak) (changed vacuum hoses)
P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction (replaced EGR valve: wrecking yard)

Finally opened the ECU and saw a resister blown (burned and brown), then swapped and the below codes went away along with the problem.

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,594 Posts
Oh man. Those are a lot of codes all over the place. I would have never looked at the ECU. I am surprised you figured out that it was the ECU. The ECU never breaks.

How did you know your secondary air injection pump stopped working in the first place? Did you get a P0410 code?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh man. Those are a lot of codes all over the place. I would have never looked at the ECU. I am surprised you figured out that it was the ECU. The ECU never breaks.

How did you know your secondary air injection pump stopped working in the first place? Did you get a P0410 code?
yes

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,594 Posts
thank you for letting us know of the ecu relationship. people may overlook some emission repairs especially in states where smog tests are not needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
p1226 or something , and said manufacturer lockout or something or other of that nature...have to look again was very late the other night, and I didnt have time or energy to figure out what it was saying really. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No blown fuses. Runs great for awhile sometimes, or shitty for awhile others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're working in the dark not having the engine fault codes checked. Anyway, without a code reader change the MAF, get either a Bosch or Pierberg. You only need the MAF sensor, no need to buy the complete MAF which includes the housing. BTW, even if it's not a MAFfault, you'll have eliminated a host of running issues in the future with a new MAF fitted, especially if the original MAF is still present, they are a service item after all.
Good advice thankyou.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so heres all the codes, and numbers, and info I have found from my code reader.

1. P1236 *01 other 1/3
Manufacturer Control

2. P0410 *01 generic 2/3 Secondary Air Injection System

3. P0302 *01 generic 3/3
Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected.

Freeze frame. 1/3

DTCFR2F P0300
FEUL SYS 1 CL
FUEL SYS 2 N/A
LOAD_PCT {%} 72.2

2/3

ECT (F) 158
SHRTFT {%} 9.4
LONG FT 1 {%} 0.0
MAP (IN HG) 29.5

3/3

RPM ( /MIN) 2275
VSS ( MPH ) 10

1/3
IM MESSAGE STATUS

MIL STATUS ON
MISFIRE MONITOR OK
FUEL SYS MONITOR OK
COMP. COMPENSAT OK

2/3
CATALYST MON. OK
HTD CATALYST N/A
EVAP SYS. MON. OK
SEC AIR SYS. OK

3/3
A/C REFRIG MON. N/A
OXYGEN SENS. MON. OK
OXYGEN SENS. HTR. OK
EGR SYSTEM N/A

And that is exactly the size of it. No real clue as of yet what all,......most of it means/ doesnt mean as of yet. But any input from someone who does, would be Greatly apreciated, since Im pretty new to these cars and as always time and money saved are important. Thankyou anyone In advance for your help. As after reading on here a bit, I have little doubt that one of you can now probably tell me EXACTLY whats what. Some of you guys are like cedes.....Godz. thanks again.

·
2,826 Posts
LCKERxxx,

Update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
add your make model YEAR ----> click save

Simple things first.

Are you getting any CEL on the instrument cluster?

P0302 - misfire. Check you ignition wires and coils. When was the last time these were checked/replaced.

Also, check/clean out your oil separator valve and vacuum lines and egr valve.
Open up the air filter and check for any oil film at the bottom (lowest point of the box)
Open up you air intake pipe (just before the maf) and feel/look for any oil film build up on the pipe itself.
Remove MAF, Clean the MAF with crc maf cleaner. Let it dry, reinstall.

Clear the codes.

With the scan, I presume you are scanning with a warmed up motor?
If so, your o2 readings are within specs.

Give your w202 some love (once a year, depending on your driving habits)
Get a bottle of berryman B12 and use 1/3 of it thru the vacuum intake on the BB. Carefully remove the vacuum line The plastic attachment gets brittle. Have someone in the DS to press down the accelerator (to keep rpms up) while your carefully pour the B12 into the BB vacuum line. The rest of the B12 goes into the gas tank after.
NOTE: you are going to get a HUGE billow of white smoke from the exhaust pipe as you do this. Warn your neighbors.
Continue revving until the white smoke is gone.

As for the P1236, could be a bigger issue than this, but for now, clean or replace the EGR and it's hoses.

EDIT: In my bookmarks, some reading for you here on the M111.975 EGR

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
463 Posts
Okay, so heres all the codes, and numbers, and info I have found from my code reader.

1. P1236 *01 other 1/3
Manufacturer Control

2. P0410 *01 generic 2/3 Secondary Air Injection System

3. P0302 *01 generic 3/3
Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected.
Here's my 2 cents worth.

First I'd look at the air injection P0410, I'm not familiar with the system as we don't have it here in Europe but from what I know there's a plastic check valve that gets clogged or stops working, I understand it's near the air filter housing or below it, also check all the pipe/hose work. It's possible all the codes, P1236 S/C clutch operation and P0302 misfire are all related. See this: advise on error code P1236 .

Engine OBD codes, start on page 27.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LCKERxxx,

Simple things first.

P0302 - misfire. Check you ignition wires and coils. When was the last time these were checked/replaced.

Open up the air filter and check for any oil film at the bottom (lowest point of the box)
Open up you air intake pipe (just before the maf) and feel/look for any oil film build up on the pipe itself.

Clear the codes.

Get a bottle of berryman B12 and use 1/3 of it thru the vacuum intake on the BB. Carefully remove the vacuum line The plastic attachment gets brittle. Have someone in the DS to press down the accelerator (to keep rpms up) while your carefully pour the B12 into the BB vacuum line. The rest of the B12 goes into the gas tank after.
NOTE: you are going to get a HUGE billow of white smoke from the exhaust pipe as you do this. Warn your neighbors.

As for the P1236, could be a bigger issue than this, but for now, clean or replace the EGR and it's hoses.

Thankyou very much for all your help suggestions, I will look into what you suggest, and get back as yo result, in time, pretty busy with work, Corona Virus.......going on and all that trying to just live stuff. Thankyou.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LCKERxxx,

Simple things first.

Clear the codes.

Also I Checked/Replaced, (as necessary, plugs-wires) all good now. And yes Check eng. Light always presant. Will get back to tell story of. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts