Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 SL500 78 308 GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car died on three lane highway. No sputter, no hesitation..just stopped running.

No indication of a problem and car is well maintained.

Car would not restart; cranked but would not turn over.

Had car towed to dealer where it started the next day (apparently after it cooled down) and they replaced the crankcase sensor and road tested car for 9 miles.

Drove car home, it gets up to termperature, dies again and will not restart.

Was towed to dealer AGAIN!!!

Computer does not tell them what is wrong.

Any help and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Tom (Sorry...I'm so distraught...It should be SL500!!)

·
Registered
SL 500,S 600 BRABUS,w220 S430,w221 S320 cdi S550,porsche928 S4,peugeotT16 andsubarun12 sti rally car
31 Posts
have you checked the spark plugs the wires or the fuel pump does it over heat at all

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Luckyguy said:
Car died on three lane highway. No sputter, no hesitation..just stopped running.

No indication of a problem and car is well maintained.

Car would not restart; cranked but would not turn over.

Had car towed to dealer where it started the next day (apparently after it cooled down) and they replaced the crankcase sensor and road tested car for 9 miles.

Drove car home, it gets up to termperature, dies again and will not restart.

Was towed to dealer AGAIN!!!

Computer does not tell them what is wrong.

Any help and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Tom (Sorry...I'm so distraught...It should be SL500!!)
Sorry to hear of your dillema. This one is over my head but I would like to suggest that you call several INDY's and bouce you problem off of them. (Many of these guys are better than Stealers.) I would stay away from a Stealership escpecially if they have connected it to a computer already and the problem still persists.

·
Registered
99 SL 500
35 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Durango. The car sent no codes and completely died. Dealer couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be the PCM - main computer. When it heated up a connection broke. When it cooled off the connection made contact again. After much arguing, the dealer finally did a heat gun test on the PCM and confirmed it was the problem. Had it replaced under warranty. The PCM is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. If your 99 was delivered after May 10 1999, it's still covered. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
Can't help but note the irony of your username ... hmmm.

I had a similar problem some years ago with a new Land Rover Discovery - the engine would randomly stumble and nearly quit at highway speeds. Turned out that the throttle potentiometer that translated gas pedal position into a signal for the engine control module was defective. The output from the pot would just drop to zero momentarily and confuse all heck out of the ECM. It would never show up as a fault since it was just an unexpected input and not necessarily an erroneous one. It took three trips to the dealer, two techs, and one portable oscilloscope to find the problem ...

Good luck!

Stuart

·
Registered
sl-500
153 Posts
crankcase sensor

Ask them to replace the replaced crankcase sensor for a new one, and then reset the codes ! it should show sensor faulty and replaced ! !

good luck
Baw

·
Registered
'85 500SEL AMG, 91 560SEL, '99 E55, '00 SL600, '99 S600, '99 E300 TD, '92 190E
183 Posts
I agree with Baw, it sound like a faulty crank position sensor or camshaft position sensor. My car would go dead and crank up after one hour. It had a bad crank position sensor. My car had only 41,000 miles.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
26 Posts
I had the same problem with my 560SL. It would stop on the freeway and then not start until its been stitting for a while. Turned out to be a joint in the fuel pump relay that came undone when it got hot and then the fuel pump would die.
The joint was re-soldered and that took care of it

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Bawbag said:
Ask them to replace the replaced crankcase sensor for a new one, and then reset the codes ! it should show sensor faulty and replaced ! !

good luck
Baw
Hey Guys, I'm not that smart but it seems to me that if he take's his 1999 car to a Dealer it should be as simple as connecting it to there computer and it should show any kind of engine sensor fault. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
77 450SL :: 99 SL320 sold :: 06 Sprinter 315 :: 07 Vito :: 99 E280 sold
140 Posts
Just to throw something else into the mix.....

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad lambda sensor. My tech replaced 2 of them at first, but only one was faulty. All is ok so far but replacing crank sensor next week to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
99 SL500 78 308 GTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally repaired

Thank you for all your imput.

They first thought it was the crankcase sensor but then it stalled again and would not restart.

It was the main computer (the "brain").

Ironically, the car has idled MUCH smoother since the replacement.

Referring to the gentleman who mentioned "hook it up to the computer and see what is wrong" was exactly what I was thinking.

Apparently that is not the case...possibly due to the age of the car and lack of sophistication of the chip. When the car would not start at all they got new messages and that helped greatly.

Thanks again!!!!

Tom

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Luckyguy said:
Referring to the gentleman who mentioned "hook it up to the computer and see what is wrong" was exactly what I was thinking.

Apparently that is not the case...possibly due to the age of the car and lack of sophistication of the chip. When the car would not start at all they got new messages and that helped greatly.
Tom,
It is my understanding that 1999-2002 SL500 are the same, except for some minor changes. According to OBD-2 Techn. Infos "In the USA is prescribed for all new vehicles starting from 1 January 1996 OBD-2. That is, that also vehicles for the American market with year of construction can have already 1995 OBD-2."

I wonder why they could not diag your car the first time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts