Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Black C230 Kompressor, 1992 Silver 300ZX 2+2, 1999 Black Onyx ML32o
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of the forum, but I thought I would just ask a straight out question. I have owned a 1988 300E for 6 years and am fairly happy with it. I had to replace the transmission at about 210k, but other than that very reliable.

I am looking at several SLKs with about 70k in miles on them and would like to know if these cars are reliable enough to purchase. I have never had a supercharged car and so I have concerns. Also manual versus 5/6spd transmission is one better than the other? I am not a racer but I do like windy roads when I can drive them, and I do drive that type of road fairly aggressively, but I don't see them often. Mostly just a highway/city commuter. I do drive all over Washington State for work though.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
I would go for 320 (that what i did) I have 6 speed manual and i like it. But SLK is second car - if I am not very awake in a morning - I can take Audi with Auto tranny. Auto tranny should last you at least 200K - just make sure to change tranny oil every 50K.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,950 Posts
I have the 230. I really like it. Good on gas. Did very well in the winter with snow tires. So far, this car has been easy to work on. Having the top down is a blast. If you decided to go for it, you will not be disappointed. Just have the usual ppi done and the usual thing when getting a used car.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
If your not really sure about a blower, go for a 320 like krill said, mpg is about the same as a 230, but the 320 feels smother

I have a auto 320, And its very nice, And you can use it tip tronic if you fancy a little play, leave it in auto for traffic or cruising.
Its really up to you, test drive a few see what you think,

Pick the things you really want body colour/trim heated seats and such, And start looking, half the fun is finding the perfect one, took me 3 months

Then let the modding begin, lots of toys out there to stamp your mark

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
BTW - Manual transmission is not ideal - first gear is too short but can be used to pull stumps. It's not the very negative thing, think about it as neither transmission have a big advantage over another - your preference only.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Bazzle said:
Mate.....

Buy the 230

320 has 12 spark plugs 12 12 12 12

230 has 4

What more do I say :)

Bazzle
Really? Didn't realize that. Had an older 4cyl Ford rnager that had two plugs per cylinder, I hated that thing:(

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Number of spark plugs is always an outstanding criterion upon which to base a car-buying decision! ;)

I had a Datsun 200SX (yes, Datsun!) that had 2 plugs per cylinder. Sweet little sport coupe, it was. :)

·
Registered
2003 230 Previous 200 & AMG 32,
464 Posts
If you can pay a little extra, it's always worth going for the improved facelift model with the mirror indicators.

I've had both manual and auto SLK's and liked both, I found nothing wrong with the manual box and the manual felt to me more sporty, the auto is still fun and takes the pain out of commuter traffic. Autos sell better.

I'm addicted to the instant surge that the supercharger gives the 230 but the v6 320 has the more refined drive with a better exhaust note.

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Take no notice of Bazzle,

Hes from oz, and they are all convicts, So cant be trusted :D

Does this look like a man to take advice from :D

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts