Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C280
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump seized, last week. I knew its life was going to be short, the week prior, when I heard 'donks' and pings in the pulley housing. I had a leak from the seep-hole, two weeks ago, signaling the impending death of the pump. I put in some K-Seal hoping to get another month or two of use before having to replace the pump. After the tow home, I ordered parts from FCP Euro, mostly because of their life-time replacement-if-it-breaks-or-needs-to-be-replaced policy. In between rainstorms, I decided to get ahead of the game and drain the radiator. I used a heater-hose section, and ran it from the nipple off the bottom of the radiator, at the pet-cock, and stuffed the other end into a 1 gallon, empty, milk jug. I uncapped the overflow tank to allow for easier drainage. Crawled back under the car, and I opened the pet-cock at the bottom of the radiator, and....very little happened. I opened it up to the point that some coolant ran through the pet-cock valve onto my fingers. That would be straight down, and not through the hose. I screwed the pet-cock valve back up, fully, then opened it again. Water began streaming down the lower radiator hose that attaches to the bottom of the water pump!

Back to the story...Coolant came from the top of the lower radiator hose, where it attaches to the water pump. My water pump has 2 outlets: one to the lower radiator, and one hose to the auxiliary water pump on the passenger fender, feeding into the duo-valve control.

Question: Why would coolant have popped out of that area, and not come from the drain at the bottom of the radiator? Would that signal that a vaccuum, or bubble, had been in that area after the seize, and the pressure made an opening? Maybe opening and closing the pet-cock caused some type of pressure?At the most, I drained about a cup and a half from the pet-cock drain, and the contents of the radiator and the contents of the overflow tank through the water-pump / lower radiator hose connection without removing the hose!

Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
1998 C280
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brand new Nissens OE from FCP Euro, replacement with new blue coolant, put in in June 2019. Replaced cracked side-tank radiator and AC condenser. Work done by Independent MB Master Tech. Radiator I could do, but Condenser, I couldn't. I gave both jobs to him. It's the first I've ever seen happen like that. Water pump was making some occasional clunks, but nothing consistent, at that time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts