Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anybody can tell me the exact stock size my 98 slk 230 takes.
mine has p205 r16 89v on front and p225 r16 91v on rear. is this correct?

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
aldono,

If you're thinking of tyre replacement at any time, using a non directional tyre will allow you to swap L to R to even out tyre wear on the SLK

Directionals have to be demounted from the rim to keep them rotating forward if you want to swap them L to R.

Oberoi

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
wondering if anybody can tell me the exact stock size my 98 slk 230 takes.
mine has p205 r16 89v on front and p225 r16 91v on rear. is this correct?
leapyfish is spot-on woth the correct sizes. What make of tyres are you running just now? My recently bought 230 has a set of Champiro GT Radials fitted.These are a budget tyre,but I havnt ditched them yet as theres plenty of tread on them,and they seem to actually be OK. Once they wear out I want to fit more of a known brand. Its a bit of a minefield though as to what is deemed the best choice.Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Disregard any advice simply on 'brands'

First decide what features are important to you - wear/noise/wet grip/etc

Then check out some of the surveys in the tire category (tirerack.com is good)

Apply the feature filters to bring up #1 in the things that are important to you

Then read all the reviews for the tyre chosen

DO NOT FORGET to check the UTQG rating - if you buy a groovy tyre with a rating of 120 you are going to be back at the tyre shop in months (note the ratings in the attached pics)

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
Good post Oberoi. For the benefit of us lesser mortals could you explain what that means in the real world. Ive always relied (probably wrongly) on my tyre choice on the following factors.
Known brand.
Tyre performance regarding grip in the wet and dry.i.e. all year round type tyre.
Speed rating.
Price.
Durability.
Looks.

I have to admit the rest is "double dutch" to me. There are various letters that appear after the letter V for example on a tyre carcase,and I havnt a clue what they mean!
What are fitted to your own SLK and why? Im happy to learn,could save me a bundle in the future!

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,417 Posts
Upon arrival, I found M+S on the sidewall of my Michelin Pilot Exalto AS tires. I knew that AS means All Season. M+S means Mud and Snow, and I now equate that with AS. I get excellent wet traction out of these high performance tires, that are speed rated to my car’s specs. I think wet traction is the most important safety factor. I have had high performance tires that get squirrely in the rain. That is a good way to get your loved ones injured or killed.

After 30 months, these tires are wearing well, performing well, quiet etc. I bought them through Discount Tire. They would beat anyone’s price. They compared with Tirerack, and included shipping in the final cost of goods. Nobody beat Discount Tires prices. The free balancing and air pressure checks are convenient. They can do that service in about 20 minutes while I am at lunch.

IIRC Tirerack.com has complete explanations of tire codes and terminology, reviews, discussions, etc.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
JHS - Decothom has it - there are so many categories in the tyre choices on tirerack that a simple M+S to equal mud and snow is a breath of fresh air.

My last set were Continental Extreme Contact DWS (dry/wet/snow) and the choice was made for the wear factor of 540 UTQG and comfort/noise - all of which are important on the SLK. (They were unavailable in Oz at the time so that was enticing)

Amazing what a few hours on the reviews and surveys can reveal - better than living with crap tyres for 3 yrs+ (my car had a cheap set of Silverstones when I bought it and wasted a lot of time determining that the diff was not stuffed!!) - second set was Firestone wide ovals - not too bad but only 320 UTQG -

Oberoi

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
just one thing to note to make it clear for everyone is that the wear rating of the tyre is only useful if comparing different models of tyre offered by the same manufacturer.

a wear rating of 300 in manufacturer A may be way off for manufacturer B because of so many variables and test procedures....

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
Mmmm exactly! Like I said its a minefield.Thats why I tend to stick to the easy option of simply choosing a known brand of tyre. I could replace them with numerous options but to me it boils down to probably:-
Continentals (several types to choose from)
Michelin Exalto
Pirelli P Zero (expensive)
Dunlop SPs

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
Just thought Id better update this thread as Ive been away for a few months in Spain,but back now in the UK with the attendant snow and ice!
I plumped for the Dunlop SP Max tyres in the end.Cost was around 430 stirling fitted.Ive put a couple of thousand miles on them already and must say they are probably as good as anything else out there offering good grip in all road conditions.Havnt used them in the snow yet but apparently we are due some of the white stuff later this week,so we will see!

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
New regs in Europe from November last year should help make a choice.................

EU tyre label ? Dunlop passenger tyres
Welcome information,thanks for that,should take a lot of the "mystery" out of buying tires.
Im from Edinburgh funnily enough,hence my reference to the "white stuff",I live in Spain now though,where snow hasnt been seen since 1968,well,in the Costa Blanca anyway.I threw my wellie-boots away many years ago!

·
Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG, 2009 SLK200
345 Posts
Welcome information,thanks for that,should take a lot of the "mystery" out of buying tires.
Im from Edinburgh funnily enough,hence my reference to the "white stuff",I live in Spain now though,where snow hasnt been seen since 1968,well,in the Costa Blanca anyway.I threw my wellie-boots away many years ago!
Total whiteout forecast for here on Friday :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts