Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S320, 2000 S430, 1995 S600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All:

My hood could not open. I probably put down a confusing title.
Pull the release lever inside the car, the latch on the driver side can release but the one on the passenger side cannot. The pull handle does not protrude out of the grille.
The system on the driver side is reachable from the bottom. I can see it works just fine. Unfortunately, the system on the passenger side is not seeable or reachable from the bottom. :crying

Please help. Is there a way to reach the passenger side latch system? Don't want to end up with seeing dealer.

Best,
Sean

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried no luck yet. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Here is probably what caused the problem:
Yesterday I replaced the serpentine belt. There is a loose hose (probably the coolant overflow hose). My wife ziplocked it on the frame. When she did that, she tied the hood release cable together. I managed to get underneath and cut the ziplock. However, it still does not release.

Maybe something happened when I closed the hood first time due to the tightened cable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update: I went to dealership and cost an-hour labor to release it from underneath. I think they took off the wheel and worked from the fender area. They said they did temporary fix on the cable.

They estimate a new cable replacement will cost $460, it is about three-hour labor. I will see what I can do myself first.

Regards,

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,233 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem. Your release cable is stretched.

When you get the car home and can open the hood, track down the cable from the driver's side of the radiator support to the latch the passenger side. You find that the jacket for the cable is loose and can move around freely.

This takes some trial and error with the hood open, but try tying the cable jacket off to someplace on the radiator support with a tie wrap.

After doing so, have someone pull on the release handle from inside the cabin while you watch the passenger side latch. You'll be able to see it release.

You may have to experiment with where to anchor the jacket, but once you have make sure it's secure and try closing the hood and releasing it. If it works, you're done.

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LWB:

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I traced down to both sides of latches. The passenger side works just as fine as the driver side after the dealer managed to release the hood. I lubed the latches and springs a bit.

Here is the conversation between the service manager and me:
manager: Your passenger side cable is bad. The mechanic did temporary fix to your cable. You need a new cable. Here is the estimate ($461).
me: So are there two cables, one on driver side, another on the passenger side?
manager: Yes.

As you guys all know, actually there is one cable connecting and synchronizing both sides. The driver side cable is connected with the indoor release lever. I had my wife release the indoor lever a couple of times and I watched closely on each side of latch. They worked seamlessly in fact. There are no loose or worn parts.

I wonder what did it do to the cable after my wife tied the cable on the frame with zip line. still puzzled. But that definitely did something and caused the problem.

Best,
Sean

·
Registered
99 s320,and 83 300sd
2,072 Posts
I had a problem my hood would not lock down all the way,took me awhile to figure it out.The handle under the dash would not pull back in place.So I always check to see if handle is in right place.I learned from my w126 to keep cable lubed.Cable is a hard thing to replace,I never got my w126 to lock on drivers side after replacement.But it has not gone anywhere.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nathan:

Thanks for sharing. Can you teach me how to lubricate the cable? Thanks.

Sean

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please take a look at the picture for hood pull open handle. I remember it used to retract into the hood more when it the hood is closed. Now I can see its very edge lined up with the grill. What is going on?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,233 Posts
Has it been replaced recently?

I ask because the position of the pin/bolt that it pivots on the lever to the latch itself has a specific position it has to be installed in.

The had of the bolt/pin needs to be facing the passenger side of the car (with a LH driver vehicle.) If the pin/bolt is reversed the projecting part of it can catch on the side of the opening where the lever goes through the back of the grille, and prevent it from projecting out far enough.

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dan:

No. It is original. It happened after the hood-half-open incident. I actually checked the pull handle's function and position. It is all original and fine.

Thanks.
Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts