Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Very thankful to this message board for all the DIY and other information. In the last couple of weeks, I have changed the transfer case fluid, differentials fluid, CPS, brake switch, and flushed the cooling system. The transmission was shifting oddly for awhile and using the forum and visual evidence, I got the bushing and ordered fluid and filter kit for a change.

The fluid change was beyond my capabilities because of my living situation so I went to the local mechanic and arranged to have my trans fluid changed. I explained how I wanted it done and we were in agreement.

The mechanic working on my car decided to get aggressive with a "flush", which I did not want, and now fluid is leaking out of the top of the transmission at part 150.

On the plus side, the trans shifts very well and smoothly. Had the brake fluid changed, brakes much better. On the negative side, how screwed am I?

A little terrified right now. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Glad transmission is still shifting well. I recommend you NOT to drive it until the fluid level is corrected. You can harm the transmission by driving it overfilled with fluid.

It is not difficult as long as you know how to measure it correctly. Buy a 722.6 transmission dipstick from eBay or wherever you can find. First, check the fluid level when fluid temp is around 25C and remove the excess fluid. Second and more important step is to check it after the ATF temp reach 80C. (Some use an IR thermometer, some goes by the coolant temp. In my opinion, if you don't drive the car long enough, ATF temp may never reach 80C). When necessary, remove the excess fluid from the filler tube using a suction hose. Following link from W210 forum is the most helpful DIY post.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1334827-photo-diy-722-6x-transmission-fluid.html

Another simple procedure I suggest is to reset the transmission and let the TCU to re-learn the shifting points with the new fluid. Do this after the fluid level is corrected.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1416644-useful-w163-documents.html#post3232613

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does the leak just mean there is too much fluid in the trans and the valve is just blowing the excess out? It only leaked when the car was moving during a short test.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Your description of the leak points to an overfill and purging the excess. Assume you are correct that it is overfilled and mechanic didn't know the proper filling procedure (almost all them will say they know, but they don't!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Merzatt. It does make sense to me and you have put my mind at ease. I will stop the mechanic from "investigating" the problem further.

Ordered a dipstick from ebay.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just have him drain the pan one more time and refill it again. Does he have the correct dipstick to check your fluid level? If not, you can make one out of flexible bowden lawn mower throttle cable (that was my first one before I got the real one). On yours, there is also screw to drain the torque converter, did he do it or not?
How many qts. of fluid did he used to fill it? You should have only about a gallon of fluid in the tranny pan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mbenz, He did do the torque converter. Claimed he had dipstick but I don't think so. He used over 8.5 quarts but not 9.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts