Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Can anyone confirm if CDs for MCS navigation systems, version 2004.1, will work in my 1998 ML320? Please send an email to me at [email protected] if you know the answer.

The used car dealer that sold me a 1998 ML320 (in January, 2005) didn't have the correct CD. They promised to get the right CD and failed to locate it, week after week, for the last 3 months. Now the General Manager said that Mercedes Benz no longer sells individual CDs, that they must buy a complete set. (The dealer refuses to purchase a set to honor their promise.) I've got to locate and purchase CD #8 for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ferretti Motors of Huntingdon Valley, PA should pay for their dishonesty...

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
If you have CD NAV installed with the MCS system, then yes, the 2004.1 version will work.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please forgive my ignorance ... what is MCS? My navigation system is a stock Mercedes Benz system that sits on top of the dash above the center vents. The CDs are installed under the front passenger seat. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
dgrancell - 4/15/2005 11:56 PM

Please forgive my ignorance ... what is MCS? My navigation system is a stock Mercedes Benz system that sits on top of the dash above the center vents. The CDs are installed under the front passenger seat. Thanks for your help.
The MCS is the radio which was was not available in 98 or 99 although can be installed.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for explaining the MCS system to me. Will the CDs for the MCS work with my older (dashtop-mounted) Nav system in the 1998 ML320?

There is a Benzworld member who offered to sell me a complete set of 2004.1 MCS CDs for my 1998 ML320 at a cost of $67 + shipping. I was afraid that this set of copied CDs would not work with my non-MCS system...

I need CD#8 for the Southeastern Pennsylvania area (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) for my 1998 ML320.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Please let me know if you know where I might be able to find the correct CD for my dashtop Nav system...

David
[email protected]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
@David, that's the older style M-Class navigation system made by Siemens VDO. I'd try calling Navteq www.navteq.com and see if they have updated CDs.

98 99 M-Class OEM NAV system from Siemens VDO

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benza: Thanks for being the first to reply to my post and educating me on the MCS Nav system.

Wolfgang: Thank you for the picture & information ... the Siemens VDO is the Nav unit that is in my ML. I'll contact Navteq but I do not think that they sell CDs to the public.

Ae86pwr: Do you have CD#8 for the 1998 Siemens VDO Nav system and can I buy it from you?

I got an email response from Scott Brotherton who works for www.ContinentalImports.com He said that I need to purchase Blaupunkt disks which are not sold individually any more. The disk set that he said I would need is for the DX-N (whatever that is). The cost is $275 + shipping for the entire set. Does anyone know if Scott's information is correct? Thanks again ... David

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
@David, those CDs from Continental Imports work with the COMAND system in Mercedes but I am not sure if they work with the Siemens VDO system in the M-Class. Scott Brotherton will know, his wife drives an M-Class as far as I know. Navteq does sell update CDs occasionally maybe not via the website, but when you call them, and only if your MB dealer can not provide them.

Continental Imports NAV CD info page:
http://www.continentalimports.com/nav_maps.html

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Wolfgang. I wrote to Scott & Navteq and will wait to hear if either has my CD.

It seems like my 1998 ML, the Siemens VDO Nav system, and CD #8 are a rare combination.

If anyone has access to CD #8 (or a copy of CD #8) for the Siemens Nav, please please please let me know...

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
You can always buy the latest individual nav CDs from your Mercedes dealer for about $135. I know because I just checked. There are also private individuals who will sell you an unwanted CD from a set.

DelJ

dgrancell - 4/16/2005 10:52 AM

I got an email response from Scott Brotherton who works for www.ContinentalImports.com He said that I need to purchase Blaupunkt disks which are not sold individually any more. The disk set that he said I would need is for the DX-N (whatever that is). The cost is $275 + shipping for the entire set. Does anyone know if Scott's information is correct? Thanks again ... David

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DelJ: I was recently told (by the used car dealer who has been yanking my chain for 3 months) that the Mercedes Benz dealers no longer sell individual CDs - thank I had to buy a complete set. Is there a preferred MB dealership that benzworld members use? Thanks.
David

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Just go over to a Mercedes dealer parts department and ask for the CD. You might have to call on a dealer that is located in your geographical area of interest to get the desired single disc.

DelJ

dgrancell - 4/17/2005 3:11 PM

DelJ: I was recently told (by the used car dealer who has been yanking my chain for 3 months) that the Mercedes Benz dealers no longer sell individual CDs - thank I had to buy a complete set. Is there a preferred MB dealership that benzworld members use? Thanks.
David

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that I am beginning to see the light at the end of this three month long tunnel. Navteq never returned my message. The local Mercedes Benz parts department will call them and order the CD and call me if & when it arrives.

I'd still appreciate it if anybody on benzworld would let me know if they can get me a copy of CD#8 for the 1998 Siemens VDO Nav system...

Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my issue.

Sincerely,

David

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
@David,

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. My local dealership for example has been notoriously bad in finding navigation software for me. Last time I called them about the latest DVD software for the M-Class. They didn't know the version, nor the part number nor the price or availability, but took my number. And called back after a few days, telling me the latest version is 2002 (when it actually was 2004) and the part number they had was from a CD and not a DVD which they apparently didn't realize. And this is not the first time they couldn;t locate the correct software for me. Otherwise they are a great bunch, and friendly.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The local Mercedes Benz parts department said that Navteq told them that the complete set is the same for my dashtop Siemens VDO system as the CDs for the MCS in-dash system. They have the complete CD set in stock for $303. (It shouldn't be this difficult or costly to get a replacement CD for our vehicles.)

If that information is true, I will probably write back and order from the person who originally offered me a complete (bootleg) set of 2004.1 MCS CDs for $67 + $7 shipping.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The complete set of 2004.1 MCS CDs arrived today and the Nav system cannot read the data on the CD. This situation is really annoying.

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
Did you get them from your MB dealer? They should have told you those CD's would not work in a Seimans NAV. Those are for the MCS system. Send them back & get a refund.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts