Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 1998 mercedes ml320,the suv runs perfect but after i drive it a while if i dont let it set it will be setin low range.after i let it set for 20 mins it runs perfectly fine.i just serviced the transmission,changed the electronic plug into the tranny to.if i push the low range button on the dash it doesnt light up at all.i am running out of idea it throws a code of p0700 every once in while.can any one help?

ok i fixed the ets light by changeing the brake light switch.now for the low range problem ,when i start the car the light comes on and goes off,if i follow the procedures to engage the low range no light comes on flashing or not. is that a bad low range motor,i put a new switch in the dash already?if so anyone know how much that motor runs?

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
.i just serviced the transmission,changed the electronic plug into the tranny to. is that a bad low range motor,i put a new switch in the dash already?if so anyone know how much that motor runs?
hey kramer, sorry for your troubles, but when you say 'service the transmission' what do you mean? could you be more specific? was this issue prior to your service:confused: just thinking outside the big box here:surrender:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

dropped pan changed filter and fluids,and changed the elctronic plug that goes into the tranny,yes problem was happening befor,and if i drive half hour shut it off and start it up low range let it set 10 to 15 min runs and shifts fine

·
Registered
711 Posts
dropped pan changed filter and fluids,and changed the elctronic plug that goes into the tranny,yes problem was happening befor,and if i drive half hour shut it off and start it up low range let it set 10 to 15 min runs and shifts fine
yet another 'stupid' question here. what year? how many miles?--current and before tranny fluid change?:confused:

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
909 Posts
The simplist cause would be a short somewhere in the control line. Replacing the switch was a good idea but since it seems to be heat related I would look at something further down the line. Especially if the line passes near the exhaust. Also check for missing/broken heat shields.

·
Registered
711 Posts
btw kramer, not trying to cut you short, the big boys here might be able to help with a few more details. update your avatar with MY and ML version. also, do you know/have prior service records?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I CHANGED ALL THE STUFF PEOPLE THOUGHT IT COULD BE ANF YOU FIXED MY ML.WHO NEEDS A DEALER WHEN THERE IS THIS FORUM.THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
1998 ml320
13 Posts
im having similar problems. my low range didn't work but the car ran fine. i took off the transfer case motor to investigate. once i re-installed it, the car went into limp mode and its now giving off trouble codes p0700 &p0400. what did i do wrong and how can i fix it?!?!?!?!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,454 Posts
what did i do wrong and how can i fix it?!?!?!?!
You removed components and disconnected electronics without first researching your problem sufficiently. You wouldn't be the first.

To fix the limp mode, you need a scanner to clear the transmission fault codes.

If you had read any of the links in post #2 above, you would have found simple fixes to attempt that don't involve removing the low-range motor.

There's more info in the transfer case diagnostic manual.
useful-w163-documents-transfer-case-diagnostic-manual.pdf

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,454 Posts
Please tell us exactly what you did, and in what order. Did you disconnect the battery first or at any stage?

You don't have to explain why you did or didn't do anything.

·
Registered
1998 ml320
13 Posts
i attempted to turn on low range after i bought the car, it just blinked but never engaged. after reading this forum i learned that the motor could freeze up if not used for a while, so i lifted my car and took off the motor completely. the motor was well lubed and i didnt see anything obviously wrong so i put it back on. i had a little trouble lining it up with the bolt mounts and the "v" shaped peice that sticks into the car but finally got it in. i connected it back up and started the car. the cel came on and now it wont shift (manually or automatically). its also reading codes p0700 and p0400 which were not there before.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,454 Posts
At which stage did you disconnect the electrical connector? What about the battery?

While the transfer case motor was off the car, did you test it by connecting it to 12 V at any time?

The transfer case control module receives input from the low-range position sensors, so it knows the state of the transfer case. If you didn't put the V-shaped piece in exactly the same position, then it won't be happy that the low-range sequence is complete. That would cause limp mode.

·
Registered
1998 ml320
13 Posts
i never disconnected the battery.after i took the motor off i pulled the plug. im positive i didnt put it back in the same position. what would be my next move? also thanks ALOT! you have been very helpful.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,454 Posts
You're welcome.
... the motor was well lubed ...
I assume you turned the motor either by applying power or somehow manually, to check if it was turning OK. Did you?

In doing so, you put the system out of position.

Your only hope of fixing it yourself is to remove it again, and use trial-and-error to put it back how you found it. Otherwise you'll be limping to your local mechanic and paying him by the hour to fix it.

·
Registered
1998 ml320
13 Posts
i didnt get the motor to turn at all. i was able to turn the V piece that stuck out of the vehicle. it has an arrow pointing one way to H and the other to L. i assume "high" and "low" i turned it as far to the H as i could with my hand and reattached the motor. the motor wouldnt just slide on already lined up with the screw holes, i have to slide on the motor half way then turn it till it lined up. (feels like it is some what spring loaded? if that makes sense) after i turned the motor and slid it on the rest of the way till it was lined up with the screw holes, it wanted to rotate back to the position it started in ( that position which was not lined up)

im trying to describe it as accurate as possible.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,454 Posts
I figured out a solution for you.

First study all the attached diagrams/photos and this page.
http://4x4abc.com/ML320/txlo.html

As the photo/diagrams show, when the V-shaped spindle is turned all the way clockwise, it is in high range. You just need to replace the motor in that position, then it should work.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Raise the vehicle.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector to the transfer case motor.

3. Remove the transfer case range selection (TCRS) motor.

4. Turn the V-shaped spindle in the “H” direction (clockwise). Make a note of the spindle position.

5. Apply 12 V between the orange and tan wires at the electrical connector, pins B and G. Polarity doesn't really matter - one way will turn it clockwise; the other, counter-clockwise. Run the motor for very short bursts. (If you examine the wiring diagram, the other wires are for position sensors 1 to 4, and communications return. Only two wires go to the motor itself.) If you look at the spindle, you want to move it the shortest distance to line up with it.

6. When the spindle lines up properly so that the TCRS motor can go on and the bolts line up, re-install it. Attach the connector.

7. Reconnect the battery. Clear the codes.

8. Cross your fingers and start the car.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts