Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here with my '98 ML320 that just hit 97,000 miles. 4 days ago I replaced the turn signal switch which I must say was not fun at all and I really struggled getting that hex nut off the steering wheel, but I learned a lot and it was a good experience.

Now to my current problem, today I rolled down my driver window completely and was not able to roll it back up. When I got home I removed the door panel to check things out, everything seemed good in the regulator, so I pulled the motor and noticed that the gear only turns when pushing the switch down... WEIRD, so I connected the motor to the passenger door plug and the switch turns the gear both directions (up and down). :confused: So then I went to work pulling apart the center console to get to the switch. All the wires look fine and all the connects are tight, so I'm guessing I need a new switch???

So I have a few questions for you experts

1) Is it actually the switch or am I dealing with a wiring problem?

2) If it is the switch is there any way to just mess with the switch so I don't have to buy a replacement?

3) How do I replace the light bulb for the switch unit? I tried pulling the little bulb out of the holder, but it seems the holder and bulb are one unit, can I just swing by Mercedes and pick one of these up?

Thanks ahead of time Guys, I have been reading around and you all seem very knowledgeable...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search and found this link: Simple Web Page

I followed the directions step by step and then plugged everything back in, yet the motor behaved the exact same. I had the brilliant idea of trying the passenger window and of course the exact same thing happened, the window went down but refused to come back up. I took the door panel off and removed the motor and manually pushed the window back up.

So what do you guys think? Does it need a new switch?

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
I did a search and found this link: Simple Web Page

I followed the directions step by step and then plugged everything back in, yet the motor behaved the exact same. I had the brilliant idea of trying the passenger window and of course the exact same thing happened, the window went down but refused to come back up. I took the door panel off and removed the motor and manually pushed the window back up.

So what do you guys think? Does it need a new switch?
You can give the repair another go, but if the problem remains, you need a new switch pack.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that I cannot get my old switch pack to fully snap back together after I took it apart, any tips on how to get this damn thing back together, I read that it may cause the switch to not be able to travel all the way back up.

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
There won't be any help available on how to snap it back together, but I can offer some help in getting the windows back up. Are they still down?

·
Registered
182 Posts
does anyone know if mercedes has come up with a new replacement switch or if I buy one will it be the same junk with the same flaw? I've already tried this fix a few months ago, it worked great but 4 months later the driver window goes down but not up yet again. This is the same window that was the problem last time. This is a 2000 ML430 with only 40,000 miles. And the windows are not operated very often by the owner. So this is crazy to have this part wear out like this. Any aftermarket alternative?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the switch pack in my 2000 ML320 last year, and it didn't solve the problem. If I don't drive it for a few days, the windows will work for awhile. When they stop working, many times they will start working again after driving for 20-30 minutes. Is there a relay somewhere that might be stuck? I'm thinking that there must be some sort of relay that has a timer to feed power after the vehicle is turned off, and then doesn't reset. This is the most frustrating vehicle I have ever owned, and hope it's not representive of all MB products. I'm probably going back to BMW the first chance I get.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a new switch the other day and it fixed the problem perfectly. If anyone is interested in the old switch to see if they can get it to work for them I still have it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the above quote mean that all the windows stop working, or is it just one window?
All the windows stop working, then if the vehicle sits for a few day, or I drive for 20-30 minutes, they all start working again. That's why I'm thinking it's a power issue instead of a faulty switch. When I replaced the switch pack, it made no difference at all with the windows, but it did take care of the power door locks which didn't work either.

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
My suggestion would be to swap out the Convenience Relay (K14) with a similar relay and see what happens. The Convenience relay also feeds the power mirrors and sun roof, so when you have the problem check the operation of both and see if the problem exists with both of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts