Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350 sd, 1998 ml 320, 2003 F 250 powerstroke 6.0,2006 350 ML, 1984 380 SL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read 6 or seven different threads on this and not sure if the key cylinder is the culprit for the non locking wheel. Are they two separate mechanisms or one and the same. I have the picks found a friend to lend me the cylinder tool 202 589 00 14 00. Getting ready to go to stealizship to order the key matching cylinder just want to order it all at once any insight will be appericiated

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
448 Posts
My 2000 cylinder lock, was getting a little dicey.. Replaced the cylinder (which came with two keys).. Now all's good..

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,824 Posts
I have read 6 or seven different threads on this and not sure if the key cylinder is the culprit for the non locking wheel. Are they two separate mechanisms or one and the same. I have the picks found a friend to lend me the cylinder tool 202 589 00 14 00. Getting ready to go to stealizship to order the key matching cylinder just want to order it all at once any insight will be appericiated

Do you mean that when you remove the key from the ign. the steering wheel does not lock?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean that when you remove the key from the ign. the steering wheel does not lock?
The key is stuck in ignition if not in position for removal very close and will not turn or come out and wheel turns freely left to right the lock does not engage and the shifter will move with foot on brake

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The key is stuck in ignition if not in position for removal very close and will not turn or come out and wheel turns freely left to right the lock does not engage and the shifter will move with foot on brake
You need to check interlock cables and their adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to check interlock cables and their adjustment.
I have removed the key from the ignition( tapping on outside of cylinder with ball pen hammer did it) but am still unable to get it to the 1 portion for removal and to check the adjustment of interlock, In the process of freeing the key the steering wheel lock has now engaged. Have spent 45 minuets wiggling the transponder key and the valet key to no success to get it to move. I have a new key cylinder. It does not have that black cap that holds cylinder in place included, Do i need to dremmel that cap ( 38b in cylinder removal PDF) off and if so anybody know the part number?

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
448 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure, but cutting away the locking cap is not going to do it.. The cylinder has to be in the "removal" position for it to come out.. Look at your new cylinder to see what it's going to take to drill out the brass flat lock pins.. It's going to be a "mother"..

PS. it might be easier to just replace the whole lock assembly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to adjust the interlock that goes from brake to ignition steering lock and the button came off after depressing. So at this point I have replaced the cable from brake to ignition. New ignition switch and housing and cylinder . Upon completing reassembly the first time I tried key would go to 0 but will not come out the wheel would lock and unlock and I could move shifter and start car. After finding with it trying to get key out the steering unlocked and has not reengaged steering lock and the shift lever remains stuck in park, car will still start ( key turn is smooth as silk). I have removed the cover from console above shifter and do not see any cable or wires going into the front of shifter assembly to adjust the shift linkage lock adjustment similar to the steering lock. The brake lights did work but I have ordered a new brake light switch anyway, just found the way to test the three wires , will do tonight switch arrives sat. Any other advice this is killing me I know not the best but this is getting to be a real disaster. all fuses have been checked and I did at one point take battery cable off. Had put a trickle on battery it was fully charged 12.6 , but I will ck the state of charge when I get home. Any help would be appreciated. This is a 1998 ml 320

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Battery is at full charge new brake light switch from benz and and all cables adjusted, new key cylinder switch and housing. Anybody looking for transmission interlock cable adjustor is located at back of tranny with a rubber cover over the adjuster button and is facing the floorboards. Key will turn to all positions but will not come out at 0 and with car started can not move shifter and steering does not lock in piston zero.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts