Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz Truck ML320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Mercedes ML320 is throwing codes P0170 P0173 P0141 The P0170 P0173 have popped up before , but the went away the next morning I started the truck.
Any help is much appreciated.

Plus do I have to take the EGR line off to get the throttle body off?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
My 98 Mercedes ML320 is throwing codes P0170 P0173 P0141 The P0170 P0173 have popped up before , but the went away the next morning I started the truck.
Any help is much appreciated.

Plus do I have to take the EGR line off to get the throttle body off?

Thank you
You are not supplying enough info.
a. When do the 170 and 173 codes appear, while at idle or driving?
b. Why do you want to remove the Throttle actuator?
c. Is the eng. running rough at idle?
d. Do you have a scanner and does is show freeze frame data?

Code P0141 is for the heater circuit in the right side after cat. O2 sensor. Replace it. Note that the sensor # depends on the last six numbers of your vin #.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to take off the throttle body so I could clean it. The previous owners didnt take real good care of the truck. The codes usually show up after driving the truck for a little bit, but then they seem to disappear to the next morning.
The P0170 P0173 say fuel trim malfunction. I have changed the sparl plus and wires, I changed the MAF So I trying to figure out why the codes keep coming back.
The engine runs fine, it doesnt idle rough at all
Any help is really appreciated

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
You didn't answer my last question. Do you have a scanner and does it show freeze frame data? Does the light come on while you are driving under a load ?

You can clean the Throttle Actuator if you want but that will only be the problem if you had a rough running eng. Before you start you will need a new O-ring, part #305 997 03 45. Only use Throttle Body Cleaner and nothing else. Only wet the rag to clean.

When removing the Air Intake Pipe, be careful not to break either of the tabs/locks or else you will have to buy a new pipe.

Since it is effecting both banks you will have to check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield while driving under a load (two people needed).

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a generic scanner, nothing fancy. It doesnt show freeze frame data. I noticed the light as I was pulling into my garage.
Its running fine and the light has not come on yet. But it comes on infrequently. It has 110,000 miles on it and its a 1998. I was wondering if it could just be the age of the car and if it probably needs to have the O2 sensors changed.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
I have a generic scanner, nothing fancy. It doesnt show freeze frame data. I noticed the light as I was pulling into my garage.
Its running fine and the light has not come on yet. But it comes on infrequently. It has 110,000 miles on it and its a 1998. I was wondering if it could just be the age of the car and if it probably needs to have the O2 sensors changed.
You cannot own one of these vehicles and expect to get by with a simple code reader.

When does the light come on, what speed, what RPM, what coolant temp?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I noticed that the light was on when we were leaving the mall. i dont know if it had been on. Its hard to tell when driving cause the emergency flasher button is in my view. The temp runs around 65 to 95 degrees. The truck is usually driven mostly on the freeway, so I would say the speed is usually around 65 to 75 mile per hour unless on side streets then its 45.
You are very knowledgeable is this field, given that the old owners did not take care of it. Do you think it would be a good idea to change the cooland and if so what kind or brand should I use. The only reason I ask is because if the coolant is old, it wont do the job of cooling the truck that well.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
This is not a coolant issue per se. I only asked about the coolant temp. to get an idea as to when the light is triggered, which is part of the Freeze Frame Data.

There are so many things to be considered when dealing with these two codes and without basic info. it is going to be difficult to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts