Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes c230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few months my c230 has been out of comission. First it threw codes for multiple misfires so naturally i replaced, coils, plugs, and wires. All was well probably a day and then on my way home from work it died. Codes came up for cam sensor, replaced it. Still not staying on. I cant even drive it for a mile. Usually it starts up and a few seconds later it just dies. Battery is fine. Also have replaced fuel injectors,fuel filter,air filter, and fuel pump. Put in a new maf about a year ago. If anyone could help me out and let me know why my car is doing this. Also, if it does stay on long enough for me to drive it will soketimes hesitate really badly. I.e pedal to the floor going 5 mph and jerking really bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Cheap MAF?

Sounds a lot like a bad MAF... Did you use a Bosch MAF when you replaced it? A dirty throttle body will present similar symptoms as well...

We went through the exact same symptoms and it was the MAF. Big Thread on here about it somewhere.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes c230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the MAF have replaced it twice! Throttle body wasnt too dirty but I did clean it anyways to no avail.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Some ideas & suggestions. Would scan for codes again, possibly bad gas, check your vacuum lines for leaks or disconnects. Would check to see what the fuel pressure is at the rail. Inspect EGR valve pintle movement (can get clogged but usually will post a related code) with a hand vac guage to see if diaphram will hold and also check the fuel pressure regulator to see if that is leaking and if it will hold a vacuum as well. Wondering if you have already disconnected the MAF to see if that made any difference? Has the fuel pump relay ever been changed on your car?

How many miles are on the car now?

If all of above checks out then you may want to take a look at the K 40 relay board to inspect for cracks on the traces. That about all the ideas/suggestions from me for now. Give an update on your progress, good luck. B

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Fuel pump relay?

If it doesn't restart for a while it might be the fuel pump relay in the trunk. Went through that one too.:eek:

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes c230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the k40 board and it looked flawless. What would disconnecting the maf tell me? Ive replaced it before. And no i have not replaced the fuel pump relay before, would the fuel pump still start if the relay was bad because i can hear it turn on

·
Registered
4 Posts
The symtoms you give are typical of a GM ignition control module. SInce the Mercedes does not have one (It uses coil packs and a hall trigger/crank trigger) it generally would be related to the coilpack being heat soaked and causing a misfire.

You already stated you changed the coil packs so I am at a loss for suggestions. Funny it would run fine for a mile then act up- to reiterate, it sounds like a heat soak issue of an electronic part

·
Registered
1998 C230. 1969 Opel GT, 1976 BMW 2002
4 Posts
I am dealing with this same issue right now. 1998 c230. Replaced the fuel filter , found the one installed collapsed , inside rattles.
I was going to pull the pressure regulator to clear debris in the system. Trying to find out what I need to remove to get a clear flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update with my problem. 10-21-2012
my hesitation problem started with a bad gas purchase. When cold the car would start run 3 seconds, stop. This would continue as the engine got warmer the car would run longer to the point I was able to drive back and forth to work. Running through this gas I went and dulled up with better gas untill I could work on the car.
Replaced :spark plugs, fuel filter, hose off air intake
Problem remained durring this time the car was in a nose up position.
On a hunch I disconnected the banjo bolt on the fuel rail and purged about 2 cups of bad gas. Purged some more and got ready for Saturday.
Woke up early "for Saturday" and started car. After 30-50 starts and stalls I was able to start car and drive to 100% gas station and adding 1/2 bottle of seafoam.
From there I hit the road covering 70 miles before first stop. Durring this time the car made several trys to act up but we kept on. Got to Georgetown let it sit for a few hours then headed up to Myrtle Beach and back home.
Car is now back to 90%, I am going to change out the filter with another cheep one Thursday, then with a Mann next week.
Got two things acomplished Saturday. Fixed car and got to the wooden boat show.

·
Registered
c220
13 Posts
i have the same propblem with 94 c220. i posted the propblem on here and apparently it is the wiring harness going from the maf to the throttle actuator. i dont know where your from or what your prices are but in New Zealand they want 3000 dollars for a new wiring harness. look on my post i wrote and someone in there explains bout how its the wiring harness, this is the cheapest wiring harness i could find for your model. cheers W202 Engine wiring harness 1997 c230 | Trade Me

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am at about 300 miles right now and everything is MUCH better. Planning an running another week on this fuel filter and replacing as well as draining rear diff while back there.
The gas you have in NZ and Aus. Is it 100% gas or a blend.
I would pull a harness or make another for that price. If your harness is intact you can peg it out and strip the outer covering. Check each wire then rewrap. 10 bucks max. I have done this on many VW, Honda, and US built stuff. It blows people away how easy it can be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My city has 3 places selling 100% pure gas. They have as much business as they can handle. My place (old delme) will have a line of MB, BMW's, and people filling up bikes and boats Thursday through Saturday at all six pumps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts