Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998, Mercedes Benz, c230
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I bought my c230 3 years ago from a friend. Car is super clean, had 62,xxx miles on it at the time.

Last year i had some issues with my car going into Limp Mode and wasn't sure why.

I started reading on the forums that people would post with similar issues and narrowed it down to the conductor plate, Filter and Plug.

I went ahead and replaced them myself since it looked like an easy job. I completed the job and took it to a MB certified shop and got the Codes removed and sure enough it did the trick. Had no issues with the vehicle for over a year.

Just last week i started having issues with my gears shifting a little rough and hearing a high pitch whining sound when driving or when you rev the car. It sounds like if the power steering is giving out but it doesn't make the noise when i turn the steering wheel. only when the car is in motion or when you rev it. It started with gears 1 going into 2 and then later progressed from gear 2 going to 3 and then it would rev up like if it was in neutral while running and right after it went into limp mode. I had no check engine light at the time of these issues but the Check engine light did come up after i started driving the car to the shop to get it checked out. (This was all in a weeks time)

The mechanics checked the Engine codes from the OBDII and the TCM codes as well and got the following:

Engine Codes:
  • P0410 - Air Injector Malfunction System Logic Chain
  • P0700 - Read ETC Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory
  • P0730 - Read ETC Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory
  • P1570 - DAS To ECM Interrpted (N3/10)
TCM Codes:
  • 116 - [Component Y3/6b1(transmission Oil Temp sensor) Or Component y3/6s1)Starter Lockout Contact) Is Sporadically Faulty Or Both.] Or ]Component y3/6s1(Sarter Lockout Contact) Or The Lead Occasionally Has A Short Circuit.] - Resistance too low.
  • 147 - The Gear Is Sporadically Implausible Or The Transmission Slips Sporadically. - Resistance too high
  • 151 - The Gear Comparison is Sporadically Negative Or The Target Gear Has Sporadically Not Been Achieved. - Resistance too high.
  • P0730 - They focused on this code and pretty much told me that i needed to replace the transmission due to it slipping.
The Car has 74,xxx miles on it now and has never been hard driven since it is an older car and it is my daily driver to and from work.

I checked the Transmission fluid level with a special dipstick i purchased and the fluid was a little over the target mark on the dip stick, i did read on here that if its even a tad bit over, it will act up but i haven't put in Transmission fluid since i replaced the conductor plate last year. I told the mechanics about that and they said that the fluid level was fine.

I also checked the Plug from underneath the transmission and found no leaks of any kind. I also checked the TCM to see if there was any fluids in there and its clean as a whistle.

I started doing more research and started reading about a spring on the valve body that sometime breaks or gives out. Not sure if i should try that before i start looking into a new transmission.

I know theirs plenty of Mercedes knowledge on this threads that i figured i would give it a shot and ask for some advice/help.

Thanks an advance.

·
2,829 Posts
Have you erased the codes?

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that.
I went ahead and updated the info.
And yes, I erased all codes from the engine and transmission, took it for a test drive and 5min later it started “shifting weird and going into what felt like neutral and then limp mode”

·
2,829 Posts
Thanks for that.
I went ahead and updated the info.
And yes, I erased all codes from the engine and transmission, took it for a test drive and 5min later it started “shifting weird and going into what felt like neutral and then limp mode”
Was the CEL on, prior to erasing? And then it went off after erasing codes? And then came back on after a test drive?

You erased the TCM TCU error codes with which scanner ? and where? at the obd2 or at the 38pin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is correct, it was on prior to erasing and came back after the test drive.

I took it to Bakersfield Motor Works. They specialize in German cars.

They used a few different computers to check the codes thru both the OBD2 and the 38pin plug but they did erase everything thru the 38pin plug.

Not sure what type pf scanner they used. I have the paperwork with the codes and description of them all but idk how to post them on here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to upload the paper work for the codes i had before they were erased.

Attachments

·
2,829 Posts
Yes that is correct, it was on prior to erasing and came back after the test drive.

I took it to Bakersfield Motor Works. They specialize in German cars.

They used a few different computers to check the codes thru both the OBD2 and the 38pin plug but they did erase everything thru the 38pin plug.

Not sure what type pf scanner they used. I have the paperwork with the codes and description of them all but idk how to post them on here.
Ok. You've now cleared up missing info in your posts. I asked because there was no mention of where and how the codes would have been cleared correctly. Many are unaware that the 38pin (obd1) is the only place to clear majority of the module codes (with a correct scanner, of course) for these older MBs. OBD2 is convenient for a few of the simpler scans.

For posting any reports info you have, just take photo (take out personal info and upload), if that's what you are asking.

EDIT: You're better off photos vs. pdfs - for convenient viewing purposes vs. having to DL and open

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see.

Ill try that next time.

The only thing i'm having issues with is trying to make a decision on weather i need to buy a new transmission or try something else.

I've seen many post on this forum about replacing the conductor plate, the transmission filter, the transmission electrical plug, and even the small springs on the side of the valve body but was hoping to get some advice as to what could be the problem.

As explained in the first posting, i replaced the conductor plate, filter and plug just about a year ago now and was wondering if its a possibility that its gone out again?

·
2,829 Posts
So are these the codes prior to erasing, correct?
And the recent limp mode occurred after these codes were erased?
Do you have the most recent error codes that have popped up? or do you need to get it scanned again?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, those are the codes the car had prior to erasing them.

and correct, it was in limp mode when the car was at the shop, codes were erased and after the test drive, the car went right back into limp mode.

I need to get it scanned once again in order to see if their the same codes. :/

·
2,829 Posts
yes, those are the codes the car had prior to erasing them.

and correct, it was in limp mode when the car was at the shop, codes were erased and after the test drive, the car went right back into limp mode.

I need to get it scanned once again in order to see if their the same codes. :/
There's a few other issues, not related to your tranny limp mode. Such as the secondary air pump - p0410. May want to check the fuse to this and the relay. I would also check the secondary heater hose coming from the water pump to the secondary water pump and check for leaks from that hose.

Edit: not sure if you read thru this post on the P0730 code

The P0700 is a generic code - most likely related to your P0730

·
2,829 Posts
Doog,

Doing some reading this evening on conductor plates, on another matter in my to-do list, and glanced over this thread.
Now, I didnt get deep into it, but I believe your tranny is a 722.6 (pretty common) - take a look - particularly, post #5 with Mava.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts