Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oK I am kinda stuck deep with this one..... I bought a 98 E55 in October last year, Euro specs imported from Japan.... needless to say, i replaced the sterio unit cause it doesnt catch any stations in the UAE (dubai) plus i had taken it to the dealer for a thorough job..... it cost me almost $7k... got lost of stuff replaced.... still need to get the sun-roof fixed, the bloody thing jams half way, and a/c compressor unit and the need to add an atennae for boost radio reception signal.... sounds not much yes..... now hear this.... the car was done only 59k kms when i bought i drove it another 10k kms.... and a week after i got my car back, i had coolant low and engine oil low signs, i called the dealer and informed them, and they said ' oh its no big deal, just top it up some', fine..... the coolant level needs topping up every 600kms or so thats every 4 days and the oil needed topping up every 4k kms, so i topped up the oil twice in those 10k kms.... now i take it back for service and ask them to check the problem, they come back saying there could be a problem with the head... the initial diagnosis which cost me about $500 revealed that piston rings may need replacement, the sparks had some oil on it and the valves had some deposits and all the fuss was from wear and tear... they recommended overhauling the engine to further diagnose.... which would cost me again $2,000 and then the problem being identified... top that up by another whatever for replacement/ repair.... i pulled the car out.... i am scared the cylinder head could be cracked, any idea what i am dealing with?

·
Registered
483 Posts
have you been beating the car up. like.... red lining it through every gear all the time?

have you been doing that crazy arab drifting stuff with it and runing it at the top of the RPMs all the time. these are really bullet proof engines, and unless you are abusing them its hard to get a cyl head gasket to blow.

The only time i have seen/confirmed a blown-up 55 engine was some one who liked to stunt in videos and just burn out and drift for like 10 mins straight. at the end of the video the car stalls and sounds like a diesel.

Also I know its very very hot there, so even a minor malfunction could make the car overheat.

Sounds like you should get rid of it and buy a new car. I know I wouldnt own anything old in uae.

Your dealer is probably correct. it most like would be a blown head gasket based on the description in the post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello I am looking to buy a Mercedes diesel sedan from 1996-2000. Are their any models that were trouble makers that I should avoid? Do the engines from this era last as long as the old 70s and 80s models 500,000 miles etc. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
500 Posts
buy as low miles and newest year you can afford... big plus would be to get aftermarket warranty...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts