Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 e320 Estate (Wagon)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks this is what I have and I'm stumped. I have a 1998 e320 wagon with 160,560 miles on it. I have just changed the oil and spark plugs. I do not have any codes pending or showing.

When I start the car and rev the engine to ~4500 rpms, it stutters and will not rev any higher no matter how much gas I give it. I have triple checked all the spark plug wires and they all seem to be correctly seated. This is the first time I have personally changed the spark plugs. I followed the "revised DIY oil-change pictorial" posted in the stickies and had no issues.

The only things that I can think that might be causing this is that either one of the coils went bad, a wire got damaged (I followed the DIY and was extra careful not to pull on the wire it self), the MAF got damaged or this is just a safety feature that MB will not let the engine rev higher in neutral. After scouring post for any help, I did notice mention of changing the motor mounts with the spark plugs I did not. Could that be a possibility? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
It's build-in that the engine will not rev to more than about 4,000 RPM while in neutral or park, so no problem with the car or your work. :D It's there to protect the gearbox and the engine.
If you want to take it to the red-line, you have to go out on the road and manually put the gearbox in a lower gear.

·
Registered
1998 e320 Estate (Wagon)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kobus. As you could probably tell I am a rookie at owning a car of this caliber and was a little intimidated by the process of changing these spark plugs. Kind of use to older volvos. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
674 Posts
Revving an engine without a load on it can cause serious damage to it. The rev limit (in neutral or otherwise) is designed to prevent people from converting their oil pan to swiss cheese (connecting rods poking through).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts