Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SL, 1985 380SL, 1987 Jaguar XJ6, 2006 Cadillac DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the display "Defective lamp" and the right stop lamp is out. I have replaced the brake light switch and I have sanded many bulbs and the contacts in the socket. Help before I connect the right tail light to the left one. I'm sure that the electrical system will like that.

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon 253K miles
3 Posts
Wagon Brake Light Out

My 1999 E320 wagon's left brake light was having a problem -- it was dim and about half as bright as the right side light. So I opened up the flap to the spare tire well to get access to it and installed a brand-new bulb. Still dim as before.

Couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I left it alone for a couple months. Then the entire brake light went kaput. I checked the bulb socket (vertically its the middle one of the 3 bulbs), and it turned out that the metal piece on the assembly -- where you turn the bulb clockwise so the base of the bulb meets the metal -- was cracking. So no juice was getting to the bulb.

Don't know if a solder-job would work; have to find out.

When I search online parts for "Brake Light Assembly" nothing turns up for the wagon, just the sedan! Have to ask MB what to look for name-wise and hope I can find an OEM part cheap. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2000 430 Sport. Its my right taillight. I replaced the sockets, the bulbs, but not the assembly. Any idea how much it cost and where did you order yours? Also,I think one of the other bulbs just went out today, its the bulb for the taillight that helps illuminate the stop light.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2000 430 Sport. Its my right taillight. I replaced the sockets, the bulbs, but not the assembly. Any idea how much it cost and where did you order yours? Also,I think one of the other bulbs just went out today, its the bulb for the taillight that helps illuminate the stop light.
Check out RockAuto Auto Parts. They have tail lights for $40.

Their site seems ghetto, but I've ordered from them several times with no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts