Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, for the 3rd time in the last 2 yrs, my radiator fan (attached to the water pump,NOT the 2 elec.fans ) disintegrated and took out the radiator for the 2nd time. Has anyone else had their fans fall apart in a similar fashion ? Car only has 179,000 miles, very few minor problems, mpg 28-38 (local,highway). I'm getting tired of this routine fast ...

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,474 Posts
I took the fan blades off and had the car in 114F weather without overheating.
Deplore drives the car with no fan blades in Long Beach.
Where do you live?
Than per my observation, beaten up motor mounts allow for engine drop to the degree when blades hit the shroud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the fan blades off and had the car in 114F weather without overheating.
Deplore drives the car with no fan blades in Long Beach.
Where do you live?
Than per my observation, beaten up motor mounts allow for engine drop to the degree when blades hit the shroud.
It's never that hot on LI,NY... I've wondered why there are 2 electric fans in front of the radiator and 1 (belted) behind it...Maybe this time I'll just replace the radiator and forget about the fan on the pulley. That might work, at least during winter...?

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
987 Posts
The lower radiator support is easily pushed inward if you hit a parking barrier or something like that, setting the radiator closer to the engine. Look for a 98-99 E300 or really any 210 then compare the gap between the forward crossmember and lower radiator support. It’s easy to pull the lower radiator support forward with a come-along. Easy to pull it too far forward so go slowly.

My ‘98 E320 sedan came with a fan shroud that wouldn’t sit right on the radiator. Turns out the radiator support was pushed in. I didn’t have a come-along so I tied the support to the tie down loop of another car and reversed slowly to get it to match the gap in the ‘98 wagon.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts