Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E300 TD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1998 E300 Turbo Diesel with 250K has a problem of air getting in the fuel line when parked level or nose uphill. I can park it with the nose down some and it will crank. Two years ago, I had the fuel lines replaced. I think they also replaced the Diesel Shutoff Solenoid/Valve.

Two days ago, I changed the Diesel Shutoff Solenoid/Valve o-ring since they are inexpensive. As we finished up the o-ring change, the car was level - and cranked right up. Then I brought the car home and parked (level) it in my garage overnight. 24 hours later, it is doing the same thing as before. Any thoughts or suggestions?

"UPDATE" Thanks for the responses. I checked and I do have bubbles in the fuel line. One right behind the pump and others. How does one purge the bubbles from the fuel line on a E 300 diesel?

Thanks,
Gene

1998 E300TD w/250K

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Do you see any bubble when the car is running?
Or there is just a large bubble on the line going to the filter?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
What engine number do you have?

There is a low pressure fuel line test that is used to quickly locate leaks, however the test has variants depending on engine model. Get the number and we an go over the test. FYI The test requires a hand held P/V device such as the Mytivac or equivalent.

If you don't have one or can't barrow one-----Well, then you my be better off with the very entertaining "drop kick look for the bubble test"---the good news is that in the process you will learn much about bubble physics!!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
Some of those lines work with vacuum, some with low pressure and if there is easy way to test them I would love to hear it. I was playing with oring replacement on first diesel and all it did was waste my time. So my policy is, that with any leak replace whole set of tubings, that did cost around $70 . (I never replaced the one with eye bolt on the end)
Since OP has 2 years old tubings - trying to find where exactly leak is might make sense. Wash the engine pretty well park it nose down and check for signs of leak in the morning.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
I like to know what kind of leak/ where bubbles first...
I had a lot of difficulty for a month at least, but last week I inally find one of the cause of some bubble coming right after the filter.
It was really puzzling as I changed all the Oring before, got another clear pipe at 8 quids, same, bubbles...
I had to took the filter housing out to inspect it, and this is where I finally found out that the housing was good and that the leak might have been on the pre-filter mounting. I add 2 metal washes to the little clip on top and it solved some as its squash tight the pipe/ pre-filter in the housing. Pfff...
That was hard.
Now I still got some bubbles but I beleive that its the rubber pipes after the tank, this is the only one original pipe left :eek:
Must be spongeous in it...

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Yep a very simple PRESSURE test, right out of the MB diesel engine manual. Even an ole Skoda/Ford grease monkey will understand the simplicity.
All we need to know is engine model type. The tests are all a little different.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I would lodge you suggestion to ammend the world wide procedure of testing MB W210 diesel fuel low pressure circuit for leaks with MB Technology Dept in Stuggart, Germany.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts