Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 1998 C230. This is NOT a kompressor. Anywho, got CHECK ENGINE light on since yesterday, and the code reads P0410.

Searched around some forums and it says something like air system malfunction.

If so, what kind of fix would be required?

Scheduled to see a dealer next Tuesday along with some other maintenance, such as new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filters, transmission service, differential service, brake fluid flush, and so forth but want collect some idea before to prevent getting ripped off. :D

I have a long 2,000+mile road trip coming up, so more curious about it is big and urgent item to take care of.

Thank you very much in advance for any inputs! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
have you checked the fuses?

Hi everyone!

I have a 1998 C230. This is NOT a kompressor. Anywho, got CHECK ENGINE light on since yesterday, and the code reads P0410.

Searched around some forums and it says something like air system malfunction.

If so, what kind of fix would be required?

Scheduled to see a dealer next Tuesday along with some other maintenance, such as new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filters, transmission service, differential service, brake fluid flush, and so forth but want collect some idea before to prevent getting ripped off. :D

I have a long 2,000+mile road trip coming up, so more curious about it is big and urgent item to take care of.

Thank you very much in advance for any inputs! :thumbsup:
Sounds like a fuse popped or a restriction involving the air pump, hopefully the air pump is o.k. how many miles on your vehicle? B

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Air Pump

Is the pump still running for a few minutes when you start your car from cold? It sounds like a loud fan in case you never noticed.

C as in 220:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
THIS HAS FOREVER BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THESE C230. I HAVE A 98 C230 AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE TAKEN APART THE ENTIRE SYSTEM. THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO REMOVE THE HEAD/VALVES AND CLEAN OUT THE AIR CHAMBERS WHICH IS 2-3K TO DO. I AM NOT DOING THAT SINCE IT ONLY RUNS FOR THE 1ST 30 SECONDS THE CAR STARTS UP. NOT WORTH IT TO ME. I WILL CLEAR MY CEL AND BUY AN INSPECTION STICKER FOR $45.

IN CASE YOU WANT TO DIO YOUR PROBLEM...HERE IS WHAT I DID. I FIRST REPLACED THE CHECK VALVE. THIS IS LOCATED (STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CAR W/HOOD OPEN) TO THE FRONT LEFT OF THE VALVE COVER/HEAD. TO THE FRONT LEFT OF THE BLACK PLASTIC COVER ON THE FRONT ON THE VALVE COVER. IT IS ROUND, HAS A BRASS TOP, AND HAS A SMALL VACUM LINE RUNNING TO THE SIDE AND ANOTHER MED SIZE AIR HOSE RUNNING TO THE OTHER SIDE THAT GOES INTO THE BLOCK CHAMBER (ACT TO A METAL PIPE). SOMETIMES I READ THIS GET GOO IN IT AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED OR CLEANED OUT. THERE ARE TWO ALAN KEY SCREWS THE SCREW INTO IT FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PIPE. TAKE THEM OUT AND UNCLAMP THE HOSES. USE SOME CLEAN TO CLEAN IT OUT OR BUY A NEW ONE. THEY ARE CHEAP ENOUGH. THIS DIDN'T SOLVE MY PROBLEM BUT MAYBE YOURS.

NEXT I TOOK ALL THE METAL TUBES OFF AND CLEANED THEM OUT WITH PIPE CLEANERS. THERE ARE TWO. ONE GOES FROM THE AIR PUMP TO THE BLOCK AND ONE GOES FROM THE BLOCK TO THE VALVE. THE ONE ON THE PUMP TO BLOCK YOU MUST ACCESS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR. THIS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO PUT THE CAR ON RAMPS OR JACKS AND REMOVE THE PLASTIC PROTECTOR UNDERNEATH THE CAR.

LASTLY I PUT SEA FOAM IN THE GAS TANK. I BOUGHT TWO CANS TO PUT ONE IN THE OIL BUT HAD JUST CHANGED MY OIL SO I HAVE YET TO PUT IT IN THE GAS TANK.

I RESET MY ECM WITH THE CODE SCANNER BUT I STILL GET THE P0410 CODE. MY LAST IDEA IS TO REPLACE MY O2 SENSORS. THEY ARE $150/PIECE SO I WAITED TIL THE END. I TRIED UNIVERSAL SENSORS BUT ITS AN MB AND UNIVERSAL JUST WON'T DO. I HAVE TO CHANGE THEM BOTH UPSTREAM AND DOWN AND SEE IT THAT HELPS. IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THE SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM YOULL KNOW THAT THE O2 SENSORS ARE HOW THE CPU OR ECM CALCULATES IF THE EXHAUST HAS THE PROPER GASES COMING OUT. IF THE O2 SENSORS ARE FAULTY OR BAD THEN THEY COULD POSSIBLY CAUSE BAD READINGS FOR THE AIR INJECTION SYSTEM ALTHOUGH I BELIEVE YOU WOULD ALSO HAVE FAULTY O2 CODES IF THAT WERE THE CASE. NEVERTHELESS THEY ARE OVERDUE AS MY CAR HAS 140K ON IT AND THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR ABOUT 50K.

ALL OF THESE FIXES I DID STILL DID NOT SOLVE MY P0410 PROBLEMS BUT I FIGURE I WOULD POST IN EFFORT TO HELP ANYONE ELSE.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MY P0410 AND AC PROBLEM I LOVE MY MB AND WOULD NEVER WANT TO OWN ANOTHER CAR...ONLY A BETTER/NEWER MODEL.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Code and Cal Smog

What you say is true CEL IS instant FAIL, but good luck trying to beat the system. The code will likely show up in the BIG Computer that the Smog guys hook-up to. BTDT. I got busted trying that and had to replace the O2 sensors first. It's usually better to fix the problem right anyway.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
When you erase the code or even disconnect the battery, from that point you have to drive the car 100 miles or they will not accept it for testing. They will be able to tell the second they hook up the emissions computer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2000 C230 with 93,000 and the engine light came on. Before going to a dealership and getting consumed try the following because it worked for me. I purchased Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner and put it in the gas tank when it was almost empty. I drove the car for about one week and the check engine light went off. The reason was the Fuel System cleaner works well to keep the gas clean and as a mechanic told me, it often takes 15 - 20 cycles (drives) before the engine light corrects itself. It took about 5 days for the problem to stop but hope this experience helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello
I've changed three valves from the system and I still have the code coming up. Thomasmaio analysis is right on in regards of build up on the back of the valves and a valve job is needed but is cost prohibited (I was informed by a MBZ senior mech about this). My next steps will be rdf63's procedure but I will do it with "Lubro Molly" products and if this does then I will change the O2 sensors. A valve job at this time is not an option. The goal will be to clean as much as possible the carbon built up on the back of the valves.

·
Registered
1998 C280 SPORT
137 Posts
That code refers to the Secondary Air Injector port. Its a frickin tiny whole beneath your intake manifold that's clogged and it takes 2 days to fix and $1500+ out of the piggy bank. Thank God I am not in an emissions county. The only good thing is that you practically get the engine overhauled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK
I sea foam the car and the light went out for about 1,000 miles now is back again.
GSC280 - do you ahve aphoto of the "Secondary Air Injector Port"? I will like to knwo where it is since I will try a DIY and clean it myself. Do you have a copy of the receipt or procedures they did?

·
Registered
1999 C280 210k miles
200 Posts
On the '99 C280 yo have two air injection ports since it is a V6. I recently removed the intake mani and the Left Head. I cleaned the injection ports as best I could. They were gummed up with some carbon build up, but not clogged.

I still have the P0410 :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts