Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After exhaustive research on the subject, I have decided to buy a "previously-owned," 1998 500SL with about 40-50,000 miles on it. I have owned 2 MB's before, a 1987 560SL and before that a 1985 560SEC and I loved them both and had no trouble whatsoever with either of them. But I bought those new and I can't quite afford to do that now.

Apart from the obvious signs of mistreatment, is there anything in particular I should be looking for that might signal a problem. Or will any regularly-serviced and maintained 1998 500SL give me at least another 5 years (50,000 miles) of reliable and thrilling driving happiness, provided I take good care of it?

I have just joined the forum and I would certainly appreciate some expert advice. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
Looks like we are in the same group. We have just purchased a 98 but with 86,000 miles. Like you we did extensive amount of research on them. This car is in great shape for the amount of miles. Body perfect except for one scratch above drivers back fenderwell. It was a one owner with all service done at the local mercedes dealership. We have all records from 11,000 miles on. Other than the a/c whining sometimes on high and the star coming off the grill when I washed it, been great. By the way anyone knowing of a place to buy a new gold star for the grill let me know. I know it is a aftermarket piece from what the dealership told me.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
SL600 S420
422 Posts
"By the way anyone knowing of a place to buy a new gold star for the grill let me know. I know it is a aftermarket piece from what the dealership told me."

Dealer $28.00

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
Thanks,
I will be calling the ship tomorrow then. the one that i broke off was rigged with glue. The dealer said it should not be glued but snap into place by putting it on with top of start at 10 position then turning it clockwise to snap it in. I want it to be right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts