Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I considered one of these particular turbo-diesels for purchase. However, a good friend, an indy, recommended staying away from these particular diesels due to high maintenance costs and inherent problems. He says they are not the diesels to own because their cost of ownership makes them less desirable after they reach 70k plus miles and beyond. I surely understand the need for maintenance records when purchasing any Mercedes, but do not know the pros and cons of this car.
One of the specific problem area he mentioned is glow-plug replacement, stating they are prone to breakage during removal and that complicates/expenses things greatly. He supported his statements by saying some long-term owners admitted even though they enjoy the car, the repair expenses had been more than they expected. I do realize many MB's fit into that category.
This query is for some of the long term owners, I hope you don't mind laying on the line for me. I am not diesel savvy and would like your opinions on this model's weaknesses and strengths. Thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
The E300DT I bought 5 years ago has 220k miles on it, the one I bought a week ago has 255k miles. What are the glow plugs? :D
I hear they can be a pain to replace, but in warm climates that might never happen, while in cold climate this is once for a decade job.
Not like cracking cast on #14 heads or grenading vacuum pumps on earlier model
cdi diesels are very nice, but you could be amazed how 70 cents injector seal can cost 4-digits damages.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are telling me your long term E300 has been low maintenance and how many miles have you put on your first on? I see you own the 124 t-diesel also. How would you generally compare the 2 diff. models?

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
To not go into details, I bough another W210 to get rid of W124.
I put lot of work on the latest because PO had vacuum pump failure and whoever did the replacement did not scoop ball bearings from oil pan. The thread is in W124 section if you want to read it.
I have never heard about CA driver replacing glow plugs on W210 and again, if that happens every 10 years, the value is not bad. Common thing also are deteriorated fuel lines... with whooping $50 replacement cost about every 10 years.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
To not go into details, I bough another W210 to get rid of W124.
I put lot of work on the latest because PO had vacuum pump failure and whoever did the replacement did not scoop ball bearings from oil pan. The thread is in W124 section if you want to read it.
I have never heard about CA driver replacing glow plugs on W210 and again, if that happens every 10 years, the value is not bad. Common thing also are deteriorated fuel lines... with whooping $50 replacement cost about every 10 years.
The 99 E300TD that I owned had glow plugs replaced at 70K miles and again at 180K. During the last change the Number 1 plug broke and could not be removed. I sold the car at 200K. I also had to have the fuel lines seals replaced which was done by a dealer at a $500 dollar cost. Outside of those two issues it was problem free.

·
Registered
W210 1998 300TD, S124 1996 300TD (restoration)
160 Posts
In the UK the biggest problem is rust not the mechanicals.

If you have some service history then the glow plugs should have been changed, if not always check the back one which is the hardest to get to.

If rusty be careful as the front perches tend to give way without any notice, but you guys should be ok with sunnier climates :mad:

Having just read Kajtek's replies on the key fob thread I would also recommend having a spare key as these can be pricey.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
No car likes salt, but there is no denying that 210s have a much higher aversion to it than most. Living in the salt belt where all cars will eventually turn to dust if driven regularly in winter, I can't remember the last time I saw a rust free example. The common areas are the wheel arches, trunk lock, behind the lower moldings, hood, and on and on.

202s seem to have the same problem. The 124 population around here has faired much better, despite being a generation older.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine is rust free apart from a small stone chip just above the front mud flaps.

I'll get around to this soon but otherwise maybe only the brake lines need changing out due to possible corrosion.

I was told by the selling agent that the W210's were made in two different locations, perhaps this has something to do with the variable build quality?

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Have had mine for ten years and 130,000 miles. I DIY everything except alignments. Has been a very cheap car to maintain. I did have to drill out one broken glow plug about seven years ago. Change your glow plugs on a hot engine. I have done that twice for a bad plug and once for a complete change. On the hot engine they seemed to almost unscrew themselves. Liberal amounts of anti-seize helps too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, I hope to hear from some other long term owner's out there...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
e300 diesel issues

Thanks for the reply, I hope to hear from some other long term owner's out there...
Below is a list of issues provided by an indy for this model diesel, I would like to hear some feedback of experiences by long term owners.

Wiring harness for glow plugs
Glow plugs breaking off inside engine
fuel lines and injection pump leaking
5th gear and reverse with 5 speed auto
excessive carbon build-up in intake
excessive build-up in engines due to prolonged oil change intervals
same for transmissions
wiring and electronics issues associated with 210 E-class
Engine control units randomly shutting down [very rare- mostly due to issues with ECU, not wiring]

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Don't know how did you come up with that list, but 2/3 of the items is something I have never experienced and only some of them I hear about.
But I do/did own only 4 W210 in last 6 years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
w210 e300

Don't know how did you come up with that list, but 2/3 of the items is something I have never experienced and only some of them I hear about.
But I do/did own only 4 W210 in last 6 years.
That list was sent to me by an indy that is trying to steer me away from the w210 e300.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
I wonder how long is the list of HIS issues? ;)
I did own all MB diesels worth owning in US for last 30+ years and the E300DT is the best to date, only with E320cdi beating it up in performance while still proving itself in long term reliability.
Whatever you say about the list, it is all small charge to fix.
Try $560 for single injector on cdi.
than multiply it by 6 .....

·
Registered
1986 190E 16V Cosworth stuipdly SOLD 1999 E300 (daily driver)
232 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
...an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Follow the links. The guy got stranded by alternator failure and fan control failure. Tommorow he will be stranded because he run out of fuel.
None of those would stop me from going to next city and getting new parts.
Actually when alternator quit on my Superduty I drove 200 miles on battery power since NAPA in the first city 100 miles on the road did not have the part.
Alternator regulator $45 at dealer or $15 on ebay. Fan modules somewhere in this range as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts