Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

I have a 97 V230 trend, petrol auto gearbox

My gearbox is stuck in limp mode and after chatting on the phone to a helpful merc technician he thinks its a block chamber valve due to the gearbox 'clonking' into gear when you select drive or reverse (rather than the problem being ECU based)

As a cheaper option to try and solve it than removing the valve to clean/replace he has suggested flushing through the fluid to try and clear the blockage.

I went to eurocar parts to get the 5 ltrs needed but their books couldnt tell me what ATF i need and refer to a main dealer. Main dealer said they couldnt tell me what ATF to use (parts counter) they just had a part number for the fluid and wanted over £20 a litre for it :(

Spoke to dronsfield merc this morning who are very helpful and they said they dont stock ATF but there should be only one type in my year of V class and to try this forum.

Anyone able to help with what patent ATF i would need for this?

thanks for any help you can be

·
Registered
v220 ambiente
197 Posts
hi
There are a number of posts on this topic, if you do a search you willfind them.
You MUST use correct fluid, which is expensive! Obtainable from VW if you have the correct part no., or from Merc, but this fluid is unique to Vito so they often don't have it in stock.
G

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,387 Posts
merc only list their own ATF as they expect everyone to ONLY service and fix at MB dealer.

However on the USA listings they do say Dexron3 which is a higher spec than can normally be bought.

I attach the relevant sheets and you need to work out which gearbox you have.

Talking to oil manufacturers they all say that their top spec ATF is suitable but then they're trying to sell you some, aren't they.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts