Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes SL500 Silver
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope someone can help. Just saved up and bought really clean SL500 with full service history etc. but after less than 24hrs it's developed a strange faull which causes it to rev up and down at idle when warm.
After buying the car (yesterday) I noticed that there was a sensor fitted to the brake servo which has three wires connecting it and all three wires had been broken off (or possibly removed??) so I carefuly resoldered these three wires and the fault seems to have developed after that, although maybe not?? I think this sensor is some kind of brake travel transducer so probably not related to the uneven idle problem I now have. No warnign lights on at all.

Many thanks in advance,

Lee Hewitt.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Lee_Hewitt hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

Please get familiar with the Advanced Search feature of the forum as the matter as been discussed already. In fact if you do an advanced search using the term "surge" you will be able to find a fair number of threads concerning your problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
welcome to the forum, also post pics of the wires you fixed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, just updated car details and will post pics of wire repair on brake travel transducer.

Lee.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
welcome :thumbsup: has the car been standing without use for any length of time and have you driven it very far yourself yet,not possible in the snow I know at the moment but I would 'nt jump to any conclusions till you've driven it a few miles:)

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
299 Posts
idle

how many miles on the car? purge valve was my problem. once replaced can ran great. those emission issues would show error codes but not always. SL/R129 a very finicky car. Get use to it!

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,837 Posts
I had this problem when the very hard black plastic tube from the MOT module, then routed behind the the steering pump and up to and under the airbox, was severed.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I had this problem when the very hard black plastic tube from the MOT module, then routed behind the the steering pump and up to and under the airbox, was severed.
+1 on that...

Drags and RKH helped me narrow that down on my own car, the plastic tubing (especially the plastic elbows) on purge system are probably your main source of headache with vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks it seems like some kind of air leak problem but I have no manual to locate the various components etc.
Car has only done 69k miles with full MB service history and is really clean.

Lee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts