Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL320
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down the interstate a rock flew back off the road and cracked my windshield. Got on the phone and scheduled service for replacement. Technician comes out and starts getting everything off on the car that needs to be removed so that he can install the windshield. He then stops, comes over to me and tells me that he wants me to know that if he continues with the work he has to remove some parts in the car that may break easily because they are so brittle. I was concerned because the parts he was talking about have the sun visors are attached. So if the parts broke I would no longer have sun visors. I asked that he stop, put everything back and not continue the work until find out some additional information.

I called the local shop that works on my car and before even telling him what the tech said - he mentioned the same detail about these specific parts cracking easily and not being able to be put back if broken or cracked. And that Mercedes no longer makes these parts and they would be hard to find. How is that possible?

I can't even find much detail on what the parts actually are or even an exact number. Even went to the local Mercedes dealer/shop and spoke with the parts representative and all they could provide was a worksheet of all the parts in that general area of the car (they 'think' one of the parts is considered 'roof rail paneling' but there was no stock to order to find out).

Anyone had this issue come up with their SL320 and the possibility of the below breaking/cracking and not being able to be put back? It's the part(s) that the sun visors are connected to that the tech was concerned about removing and breaking.

Any help is appreciated. I searched what I could to see if something similar had been asked but came up empty on the specifics.

I would hope I wouldn't be stuck with a replaced windshield but no ability to have sun visors, or even worse, the middle portion with the lights that is between the left and right sun visor panels...

IMG_5565.jpg IMG_5564.jpg

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
965 Posts
The sun visors will still work the parts that may break are the sun visor trim covers they can be had on eBay. Most of the plastic stuff will break sooner or later. I fix a lot of my stuff with epoxy and super glue.

·
Registered
1993 300SL
22 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful or not but I’ve had the windshield replaced on my 1993 300SL and nothing was broken.

It was nice of them to warn you before they actually did break something. If you feel comfortable doing so, are you able to remove the sun visors, trim caps, etc. and then bring the car in for the windshield replacement?

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,670 Posts
I have had mine replaced twice and I don't believe they took off anything in the interior, other than pulling off the mirror. And they broke some plastic on that unique 1996 mirror but being the plastic is old and crappy, wasn't going to press the issue. Got another off ebay. They took off the hardtop too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts