Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
386 Posts
Steve had a wealth of knowledge. It's all in good fun and games. Sometimes these forums become a psychological experiment and a made-for-internet drama production. On the VW TDI boards about 15-20 years ago, this was displayed in technicolor. There was one guy who was clearly 3 people, else 3 people were in on it, trying to stir up drama. It was half the amusement of going on the boards. Good for business (traffic).

These are stupid cars and we have many stupid pursuits. Staying sane as the years pass is probably the biggest challenge of them all. So, sometimes stupid drama becomes part of the mix and keeps it amusing. It's all fun and games until someone gets (their feelings) hurt (but the internet has been hurting feelings since dawn and will continue until the end of time)

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
380 Posts
W140:
strong points- where else are you going to get a V12 engine in a car, for this price today ?
most comfortable interior seating ever- period.
tons of leg room.
cool looking cockpit type drivers interior.
decent ride, rock solid unibody.
emissions controls can be easily disabled, yielding a few extra horsepower.
easier to service and repair than late model new cars, for component access, overall.
weak points- oem new parts supplies starting to dry up, and expensive.
many overly complex, over-engineered systems on board.
many electrical options malfunction with age.
some difficult to fix problems, i.e. engine wiring harnesses, challenging to diagnose.
a dedicated scanner is mandatory, and knowledge to use it.
cars are heavy, and thirsty to run.
not exactly sports car type handling, more like Cadillac type handling.
designed for ride quality, not high speed cornering.
ingrained ASR/ABS systems, cannot be easily disabled.
more and double of everything when servicing, i.e. 12 quarts of engine oil, 12 spark plugs, 2 air filters, 2 throttle bodies, 2 maf sensors, 2 coolant temps, 2 air temp sensors, etc.- think propeller airplane level of maintenance parts costs.

the internet ? if you have old friends you've know since grade school, and want to make them enemies, the net is the easiest place to do it, unintentionally. no matter what you post, Vegas odds that it will be mistaken and misunderstood, because your body language and tone while speaking, is completely removed from the picture. and most times people assume the worst, from any statement.

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,224 Posts
In reading this thread, a thought popped into my mind.

Among "the fleet," I've got a '94 S500 with 134K on the clock. I bought it with 105K and have had it for 3 years. This summer I snapped a serpentine belt and had to sit on the side of the road until a flatbed showed up....about two hours. I've been driving Mercedes since high school (I'm now 65), have 4 MBs presently and that was the very 1st time one left me sitting on the shoulder.

If you get well-maintained cars to begin with, can spin your own wrenches and keep up the "well-maintained" regimen yourself, you'll likely rarely if ever have a reason to call AAA.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
63 Posts
Never came across a CL600...
In the US, the titles, at least in two States on the East Coast I am familiar with, are 600 S-class.
No distinction 2 or 4 doors.
Mercedes, did indeed change the way sedans and coupes are distinguished mid-way in 1997, but that probably means that the coupes MODEL YEAR 1998 and later will have a badge CL500 and CL600 on the rear deck.

Attached please find the first 3 pages of the dealer brochure introducing the 1998 CL600.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
805 Posts
FYI, the car which started this thread is listed on ebay:
Currently at $5,400 and has not met the reserve. I will bet he paid $3K for the car: however it looks nice! Probably will go for $9-12K or more, but still a bargain. I believe it is a one owner car, before the current seller purchased it.

I was actually a day late in making an offer to buy the car, when the thread originator had the car for sale.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,854 Posts
I own a 1997 S600 Coupe. titled that way. Never came across a CL600...
I also own a '97 coupe that was badged S-600. I then printed out my data card and sure enough, it is referred to as a CL600. found out that internally Benz changed to the CL600 name but didn't badge the cars until later on. I ordered out a CL600 badge and changed out the S600 badge.
Anziani

41 - 48 of 48 Posts