Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 S600 V12 for sale.
Silver Color, Less than 95,000 miles, purchased new, one owner, beautiful suede and leather interior. New Tires. It is currently at a mechanic's shop near Chicago, in need of a new fuel pump per the mechanic.
I personally don't have time to spend on this project of fixing it up, although it is a great car!
All offers will be considered.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Silver Color, Less than 95,000 miles, purchased new, one owner, beautiful suede and leather interior. New Tires. It is currently at a mechanic's shop near Chicago, in need of a new fuel pump per the mechanic.

I personally don't have time to spend on this project of fixing it up, although it is a great car!

No photos
Joined 14 minutes ago

Seems legit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is legit. I am not geographically there to provide photos at the moment. I thought I'd join here to see if there is any interest.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
There is interest!

It is legit. I am not geographically there to provide photos at the moment. I thought I'd join here to see if there is any interest.
There is interest, but not sight unseen. Can you send the vin #? That tells us everything most of us need to know.

Without a vin # there is zero interest!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason I am unable to send a PM, it says "error." You can send me your contact info in a PM.
Yes a member of my family is the original owner. It has been in garage the entire duration, save for a few days. No Pets. No Smoking. I do not trust the mechanic. I took it there to evaluate an ABS brake light. I drove it there, without issue, over 20 miles. He evaluated the car for two hours, while I waited, said he was busy and to leave it overnight for a quote. Next day he called and said it doesn't start, that I pay him $500 or $600 for a fuel pump and $2000 to have the car "pass inspection." It seems fishy to me. I am picking the car up Saturday and plan is to tow it to CarMax or similar place. They will probably offer me less than it is worth. It is a beautiful car, but as I said I have too much going on. Not sure it will make a difference, but I can post pics on Saturday.

I would like to see pictures.

Are both fuel pumps bad? If not which one is bad?

Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
211 Posts
2 door or 4 door ?
excuse my hazy knowledge of the model nomenclature,
they changed it so much in those years.
was the S600 a dedicated 4 door moniker that year ?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
2 door or 4 door ?

excuse my hazy knowledge of the model nomenclature,

they changed it so much in those years.

was the S600 a dedicated 4 door moniker that year ?
A 97 coupe would be a CL600.
93 coupes were 600SEC
94-95 coupes were S600
96 on, or whenever the facelift came in, were CL600.

·
Registered
211 Posts
not unusual, fuel pumps that old, sit a long time, corrode internally due to where they are located under car. both my fuel pumps were shot and dead at 107,000 from sitting 6 years outside. not a big expense, you can get them for $52 a pair on Ebay, free shipping. and they are relatively easy to change. keep in mind we're talking cars that are now 25 years old or so. it's not the mileage, it's the age. not every car is garage kept in balmy Florida or California.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My 8/96 is an S600 coupe. Anziani I believe has a CL mfd 1/97-on (else he rebadged his, but we both know they were CLs after 1/97). Your datacard will show "CL" even if mfd in 96 AS a 97, but what came on the badge and the window sticker varied depending on which calendar year it was built in - at least for the US market!

Interested buyers can split hairs all day long about specifics, but high-end collectible 140s fall into 3 grades: $2500 cars, $25000 cars, and any car that isn't a $2500 or $25000 car is going to come with an excited seller who has a ton of photos, records of repairs, evidence of a rust-free body, etc, and he will be asking $15000-$18000 and settle for $10-$12 - in this current market as of summer 2019 (Hagerty just decided the w140 is in their current top-10 of "buy before they get hot" - with the S600 coupes, specifically, seeing the highest upward trends this year in sale price and quoting activity)

So what's the point of everything I just said? Unless you are certain it's a $25,000 unicorn museum piece, or you have an extremely knowledgeable seller with lots of pride and history of the car, you need to approach it and buy it as a car you will spend $10,000-$15,000 on to get to the "non-deferred" maintenance level of a daily driver-grade M120 W/C140. This is, of course, after you are satisfied with the VMI history of yore (makes friends with a service advisor and get a printout) and after you have verified the title is clean. In other words, this is a $2500 car!

I am somewhere around $20-$22 into my $2600 14-page VMI, 2-owner CA car, 2 and a half years later, and I'm confident asking $12-$15 as it it sits today, at this time, and out of 6 classics I have, it's the most trustworthy, reliable car among them, no reservations taking a 500 mile trip.

I knew I wanted and I went for it, unsure what it would take to get it right, willing to take the leap, but knowing I had the connections, bravery, and desire to get to that point. Otherwise, buy an S320 or better yet, a 210 E class

·
Registered
356 Posts
I pulled this on it...
Good info. Lifetime Chicago car. Gonna need a lot of underbody photos. Most hydraulic components are NLA, not to mention what a beast of a job it is to do anything under there (parts are abnormally large and heavy). My dry CA car required blowtorching and beating when doing the suspension. Have had a 400E and a GL that lived 4-7 years in MD and PA and they had a laundry list of seemingly hidden issues related to underbody component corrosion.

I'm not being pessimistic, just expect the worst

·
Registered
211 Posts
just some thoughts...I keep seeing these posts about $20,000 "maintenance" on these w140 cars,
that kind of money is not maintenance, it's major reconstruction of either a poor design,
or replacement of low quality original parts.
and probably not money well spent...allow me to explain why:
for as good as these cars were or could have been, there's a lot of crap parts on them.
the wiring for one, not only is the biodegradable wiring crap,
I also noticed the outside lighting wiring, copper core deteriorates and falls apart.
even when the outer insulation is good. very bad sign.
as if the copper itself inside the wire is of poor metallurgy mix, with impurities in it.
I've driven many a GM vehicle from years 1991-2008 well over 200,000 miles,
actually drove 5 of them, over 220,000 miles.
none of them have the problems this W140 has, at only 107,000 miles.
at 100,000 miles a GM car was just getting broken in.
for $20,000 you can buy 4 more W140 coupes, in very nice condition.
I've seen them for $6000 in showroom garage kept condition,
from NYC, to Los Angeles, on Craigslist.
sincerely doubt they are worth $10,000, and no way worth $20,000
not a chance, not now. realize the car you can get for $20 grand now used ?
recently a 3 year old Chevy Camaro convertible, V8, 6 speed, with 3,000 miles, showroom condition,
sold for only $24,000 locally. yes THREE THOUSAND miles, not a typo.
I agree, the W140 is a car that will appreciate with time, especially the coupes which are much sportier.
the main attraction being the V12 engine, IMHO.
having said that....I've driven 50 year old GM cars, and the wiring harness was in better condition, trouble free.
and the power windows work.
in regard to the Benz quality, honestly I'm not seeing it.
what they appear to be is an overly-complex car, with a lot of quality and design problems,
and so many add-on options, there's bound to be a few that won't work at any given time.
this from someone who actually likes his W140, yours truly

·
7,943 Posts
The problem with these cars is they are a full blown restorations now, and different from "Muscle car era" of the 60's and 70's with domestic cars as "every Joe blow" under the sun makes some aftermarket part for that 50's/60's/70's/80's/90's muscle car part.

Most "European" shops cannot work on these cars as many parts are not available, and they are not in the restoration business where they have to engineer/repair the actual part(s).

These cars are a "dime a dozen" as no one wants them, nor they do not "part well" at all. The best one can do is a door lock pump, arm rest, and grill.

There was a white one in San Francisco which was a 96 or 97 for $1500 with a blown engine. I work on both styles, but I just prefer a 722.6 over a 722.3 anyday. I have a 722.3 that has been raced(in the streets) and the B1 clutch pack is super heated and melted, and I cannot open the transmission. I have to do what this guy did:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2418321-500sl-722-353-transmission-slipping.html

B2 clutch packs are nearly always burned too like this:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/3004761-722-364-removal-rebuild-1995-sl500.html

I do wish I had large property, and the pocket book to swallow up these cars as they are joy to ride in them in long distances.

Martin

·
Registered
405 Posts
They are a quality car in many areas but they are let down in other areas where they were engineered wrong\over engineered or had corners cut (like most cars to an extend). You have to remember these were a top of line\state of the art very expensive German luxury car so you expect problems down the line. They were produced when the computing area was developing swiftly and many systems were new and complex which made diagnosis harder, they also weren't made to be easily repaired like the W126 etc, couple that with them being more obscure\less popular which creates less working knowledge of the car, makes parts harder to get, parts more expensive and so more likely people will neglect them. Its obvious why people can spend big $ on one esp if you want it to perform like new.

GM have got quality problems themselves but they just different problems and are much more basic cars with many more produced and used, so much more support, unlike the W140 in which the knowledge needed usually only comes from a rather small number of people on the internet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
GM's problem is, they cut their own heart out. they got rid of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn.
Pontiac was in many ways, the best car GM ever made, period.
they had brilliant engineers, mainly John DeLorean. What he started in the 1960's,
Pontiac rode the DeLorean wave of styling and marketing until their demise in 2010.
even though he himself was long gone by 1973, no longer with GM.

there it is again, the paradox of the W140:

"You have to remember these were a top of line\state of the art very expensive German luxury car so you expect problems down the line"

that is a complete and utter oxymoron. no offense intended to you NZ, you are very helpful and knowledgeable, I'm only commenting on the paradoz of the statement, which I have heard many times in the past, from many people. IMHO, a top of the line, state of the art anything, you should NOT have to expect any problems down the line ! that's the whole reason why you're buying it in the first place, to not have problems. since when does quality mean breakdowns and problems ? somewhere along the line, Benz owners have been brainwashed into thinking their $100,000 cars, should be less reliable than a Ford or Chevy, and always be in the garage for expensive repairs. I've even seen jokes on TV in the sitcom shows about it. "where's your European sports car ? in the garage. why, what are they doing to it ? I don't know, but it's something extremely expensive, and Euro."

realize this, the dealers were and are screwing customers over for those repairs, charging way too much for them. I'm starting to think these design flaws were intentional, because I worked at a huge dealership for a few months fresh out of college, in the warranty dept. I handled Honda, Acura, Toyota. the dealership also sold Mercedes, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Hyundai. the service manager himself told me, if it wasn't for the service repair dept., they'd be out of business. because that is where all the money was made, service. on any warranty claim, the manufacturer reimburses the dealership for the labor costs at full value, and also the dealership makes 30% on all the free parts they install on the cars.

the most reliable cars being sold then, were the Olds, Cadillac, and Toyota. this was 1993.

the window sticker on my car says $136,500 back in 1994. for that price, one could have bought 5 Pontiac Trans Ams then, fully loaded. driven a few of them 150,000 miles, and they were faster, sportier, and handled better than a W140. and still not have driven them all yet. and the remaining undriven Trans Ams, would now be worth $50,000 or more. the history of repairs done in the first few years of warranty I obtained from dealer sheets on the W140, is ridiculous. all those luxury and convenience options were breaking and malfunctioning right from the get go. mainly the handling sensors, suspension, automatic door closing/locks, etc.

again, this is from someone who likes the W140 and dropped a few grand now buying and repairing one, and intends on keeping it for the distant future, perhaps permanently. there's really no excuse for this, Mercedes should be ashamed, no wonder they fired the entire W140 engineering dept. the one perk I see with a W140, you must be a very tenacious and knowledgeable wrench to sort one out, and repair it. anyone who can repair a W140 and understands the entire car thoroughly, can make some money. provided anyone cares enough to spend the money, to actually repair these cars. honestly, I see any high mileage, ailing 4 door W140 as a parts donor for the 2-door coupe cars.

I believe this is a trait of German engineering. they have interviewed many former German soldiers from World War II, veterans, and the German soldiers themselves said during WWII, the Allies had the quantity, and reliability. American tanks would run forever until destroyed in battle. the Germans had the battle quality traits, i.e. thicker armor, bigger harder hitting guns, diesel engines that didn't explode from gasoline hits, but the German tanks lacked reliability. the German tanks only ran a short time before needing to be serviced and rebuilt. that fits a W140 car to the T. I must say though the engine/transmission in mine is solid, it's all the peripherals that are pesky and need to be sorted out.

the ace up the sleeve with a W140, is the very comfortable seating, cockpit type interior, and the potential of the V12 engine, and independent rear suspension. there's a lot that can be done with that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
GM's problem is, they cut their own heart out. they got rid of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn.
Pontiac was in many ways, the best car GM ever made, period.
they had brilliant engineers, mainly John DeLorean. What he started in the 1960's,
Pontiac rode the DeLorean wave of styling and marketing until their demise in 2010.
even though he himself was long gone by 1973, no longer with GM.

there it is again, the paradox of the W140:

"You have to remember these were a top of line\state of the art very expensive German luxury car so you expect problems down the line"

that is a complete and utter oxymoron. no offense intended to you NZ, you are very helpful and knowledgeable, I'm only commenting on the paradoz of the statement, which I have heard many times in the past, from many people. IMHO, a top of the line, state of the art anything, you should NOT have to expect any problems down the line ! that's the whole reason why you're buying it in the first place, to not have problems. since when does quality mean breakdowns and problems ? somewhere along the line, Benz owners have been brainwashed into thinking their $100,000 cars, should be less reliable than a Ford or Chevy, and always be in the garage for expensive repairs. I've even seen jokes on TV in the sitcom shows about it. "where's your European sports car ? in the garage. why, what are they doing to it ? I don't know, but it's something extremely expensive, and Euro."

realize this, the dealers were and are screwing customers over for those repairs, charging way too much for them. I'm starting to think these design flaws were intentional, because I worked at a huge dealership for a few months fresh out of college, in the warranty dept. I handled Honda, Acura, Toyota. the dealership also sold Mercedes, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Hyundai. the service manager himself told me, if it wasn't for the service repair dept., they'd be out of business. because that is where all the money was made, service. on any warranty claim, the manufacturer reimburses the dealership for the labor costs at full value, and also the dealership makes 30% on all the free parts they install on the cars.

the most reliable cars being sold then, were the Olds, Cadillac, and Toyota. this was 1993.

the window sticker on my car says $136,500 back in 1994. for that price, one could have bought 5 Pontiac Trans Ams then, fully loaded. driven a few of them 150,000 miles, and they were faster, sportier, and handled better than a W140. and still not have driven them all yet. and the remaining undriven Trans Ams, would now be worth $50,000 or more. the history of repairs done in the first few years of warranty I obtained from dealer sheets on the W140, is ridiculous. all those luxury and convenience options were breaking and malfunctioning right from the get go. mainly the handling sensors, suspension, automatic door closing/locks, etc.

again, this is from someone who likes the W140 and dropped a few grand now buying and repairing one, and intends on keeping it for the distant future, perhaps permanently. there's really no excuse for this, Mercedes should be ashamed, no wonder they fired the entire W140 engineering dept. the one perk I see with a W140, you must be a very tenacious and knowledgeable wrench to sort one out, and repair it. anyone who can repair a W140 and understands the entire car thoroughly, can make some money. provided anyone cares enough to spend the money, to actually repair these cars. honestly, I see any high mileage, ailing 4 door W140 as a parts donor for the 2-door coupe cars.

I believe this is a trait of German engineering. they have interviewed many former German soldiers from World War II, veterans, and the German soldiers themselves said during WWII, the Allies had the quantity, and reliability. American tanks would run forever until destroyed in battle. the Germans had the battle quality traits, i.e. thicker armor, bigger harder hitting guns, diesel engines that didn't explode from gasoline hits, but the German tanks lacked reliability. the German tanks only ran a short time before needing to be serviced and rebuilt. that fits a W140 car to the T. I must say though the engine/transmission in mine is solid, it's all the peripherals that are pesky and need to be sorted out.

the ace up the sleeve with a W140, is the very comfortable seating, cockpit type interior, and the potential of the V12 engine, and independent rear suspension. there's a lot that can be done with that.

Dude 1. You sound like you’re having a gripe and 2. You’ve highjacked someone else’s thread to do it.

If you want to complain about w140’s start your own thread rather than derail one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
12 Participants
1994v12
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing