Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to you all!

I have recently bought me a 1997 S600 with 50k genuine kms. A beauty, which I got for a good price as there was a whining sound coming from the engine. I did not believe it was the engine itself, so I made the bet.
Brought the car to the official dealer here (I live on an 'exotic island'), who checked it out and told me it was the A/c Compressor, this sounded right to me. He ordered the parts and last week I brought my car in to have it fixed.

Mind you, up until that moment I drove the car for a couple of months and had no beef whatsoever except for that sound.

When I brought the car I checked at ALLDATADIY.com on the procedure for replacing the A/c compressor and sure enough it said they would have to raise the engine. However, the senior advizor at the dealer said this was not necessary according to his specs.

So the A/C compressor was replaced and subsequently I got a call that during a test drive there was suddenly no more power but the 'fuel pump started making a whining sound'. Can happen, bad luck, etc. so they said they would replace the fuel pump.

However after a new test drive (without them having replaced the fuel pump) the engine 'suddenly started shaking and the EST warning light came on', according to the dealer. They put it on the computer and it said there was trouble with the ACTUATOR.

They lost me.
What the hell am I going to make of this? Anybody out there with some suggestions?
Sure enough the dealer here is not, how do I put this nicely, overflowing with talented merc-loving mechanics....

Did they do a bad job with that A/C kompressor by not raising the engine?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Joe [?]

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More 1997 S600 (dealer-?) trouble...

Okay, here is the sequel:

The dealer just called to say that the new problem now appears to be the engine control unit. They want to replace it for one side of the engine (?) at the cost of a few grand!

Is there anybody out there who can tell me whether they likely made a mistake putting in that compressor?

This car drove fine before I brought it in!

Thanks again!

Joe
[:(!]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Did you get them to give you the print out of the error codes.. Secondly get them to swap the two ecu units right to left and vis-versa that will establish if it is indeed the ecu... after that you should get back here with the details..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to say but you are getting screwed royally.

The fact is that the car ran fine when you brought it in. The problem they initially diagnose was faulty air con compressor (easy to check by turning air con on and off). Period. Full Stop.

Everything else that came after was pure guesswork on their part. I don't care what line they give you, no way in hell should you pay, get your attorney on it if they don't agree to eat the repair costs.

Even if they're dealer, they do not deserve the benefit of doubt.

In case you need any parts, I have a 600SE that I'm parting out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts