Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased (hot start issues and cut out whilst driving, though not always?) and failed MOT on O2 emissions so ran complete checks to find it out by 25º amazingly.
History of failed oil cooler pipe so loss of engine oil pressure whist driving may caused the timing tensioner fail to may have jumped a tooth on crank.
Timed 4 Cams, all slotted pins, but at 20º???? Any clues as to put it back a tooth on the crank whilst pinned? Can it be as simple as releasing the tensioner whilst cams are pinned in the hope the slack on the timing chain will allow me to reset the crank at 45 or with stretch 41-43º.
Any help greatly apricate as I'm a retired Plant Fitter with a new first project and its f**kin petrol!!!

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
312 Posts
Welcome to BW.
I am not sure a tensioner can be the the culprit/cure.
25° is a LOT. It sounds like a tooth is off.

Someone else with a M119 engine had a similar issue and I brought up an old thread where v8 engine timing was discussed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.
Just to let you know after having stripped the front of the engine to replace the chain I practised timing the engine with the old chain before removing the timing cover. it timed up at 41º!!! So must have jumped a tooth when there was a loss of oil pressure. With there being hardly any wear on the guides I rebuilt it and fitted a genuine MB Tensioner and she now runs beautifully!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts