Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am posting looking for some advice I just purchased a 1997 s500 it's a one owner garage kept car just broken 116,000 miles i drove the car for like two weeks and now I've developed a loud creaking sound coming from the rear suspension it's driving me crazy even when I enter or exit the vehicle I can hear it creak loudly it feels fine on the road it's a beautiful car so I want to keep it what should I be looking for mainly what is the most common cause for this it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side when I push down on the trunk lid plz help before I go crazy lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I am posting looking for some advice I just purchased a 1997 s500 it's a one owner garage kept car just broken 116,000 miles i drove the car for like two weeks and now I've developed a loud creaking sound coming from the rear suspension it's driving me crazy even when I enter or exit the vehicle I can hear it creak loudly it feels fine on the road it's a beautiful car so I want to keep it what should I be looking for mainly what is the most common cause for this it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side when I push down on the trunk lid plz help before I go crazy lol
If you can make it reproduce the noise as easily as pushing down on the trunk lid, it sounds as if you have a dry ball joint on the rear suspension. It’s a ball in a socket that generally fits very tight but is still able to move in the socket to allow suspension movement, so a zero clearance that’s lubricated permanently. It’s sealed from the environment using a rubber boot. When the boot fails, water and road grit can enter the socket and wash out the normal lubrication that is inside the rubber boot. If it has progressed to making noise, it’s already ruined and replacement is required. Sometimes the joint can be replaced by itself, other applications require replacement of the entire arm. Ultimately, you’ll need to get the car off the ground and an inspection performed.

ball joint/tie rod end is usually the issue for the type of noise you describe, but it is possible a control arm bushing is worn out. But nearly all rubber would have to be gone and metal to metal contact present. That would be unusual, I would think. Looking forward to your diagnosis And what you find. Best of luck!

K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the helpful info that gives me somewhere to start I'll start with trying to locate the noise and I will let you know what I come up with asap

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
My '95 coupe had similar symptoms and it ended being the rear upper shock absorber mount. If you take the carpeted trim out of the trunk you can access the spot where the mount passes through the trunk floor. On mine, you could put your hand on the stud and nut there and actually feel the vibration from the creaking. The mounts unscrew from the top of the shock. Good luck :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot I still haven't been able to check it out fully but I will today and let you know what I come up with more than likely it out of two things the upper shock absorber mount or the lower control arm bushing are the most common culprits I appreciate all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts