Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From everything I've read so far and including speaking to my MB Dealer (Canada), MB is trying to set up a new vendor as the last one had issues (bad keys and FOB - Alarms always going off), anyways, sounds like it may be a year or two. So what do I do with this car? Wreakers? Apparently changing the ignition switch with new key won't work either.

Frustrated!! Can anyone help?

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
382 Posts
Confirmed NLA still, call to dealer parts this morning says NLA and they have received NO memos on forthcoming products

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,842 Posts
Call Thomas Hanson at The Classic Car Center (Kaliforniastan) and see what he has to say on this. They work only on Mercedes that are at least 20 years old. His number is 949-598-4842
Anziani

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed NLA still, call to dealer parts this morning says NLA and they have received NO memos on forthcoming products
Will_c140, I spoke to my MB dealer and he was surprised that the S class was not available, he did note that C class was NLA but S class was Temporarily Not Available (TNA) as they are seeking venders. Latest news is Germany does in fact have a key but I have to buy the tumbler with it for a total $321 CAD, 2 hours shop time to program, the key is only the metal switch blade and no FOB, so I have to buy a aftermarket "programmable" FOB and they will install the key into it, program the key FOB to the car, after I tow the car into MB, showing ID and proof of ownership. Although I have to buy the key in advance, they will not release the key to me without verification of the car on site.

It will be a $1200.00 key when all done (I bought the car for a steel, $900!!!) not sure it was much of a steal now but if you love MB then I guess there is no putting a cost on happiness.

I hope you get your replacement key someday somehow. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Thomas Hanson at The Classic Car Center (Kaliforniastan) and see what he has to say on this. They work only on Mercedes that are at least 20 years old. His number is 949-598-4842
Anziani

Thanks Anziani, I'm in Canada and not sure that would work for me BUT hey, its still worth the phone call, thanks :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I sure hope it's not 12 freakin hundred. No way. We'll see. Waiting 2 and a half years for some insurance to back up my singular key that looks like the dog chewed on it. Ridiculous. I did call Tom and he told me same as the dealer basically Neil, end of year hopefully. Good info on "TNA," never heard of it, well other than in referring to female anatomy. I think this is mostly a male forum......PC what?

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
693 Posts
Alan,

You posted this earlier and got the answer about bypassing the DAS-X immobilizer system with the Julie emulator. That approach has a cost approaching maybe $200 to get yourself multiple keys.

You can be totally sure about one thing. This is that MB is in no particular hurry at all deal with this issue on a W140. If there's a 'lower than low' priority for them, this issue would be somewhere below that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Daidnik I think we've emailed before, PM me for email to let me know what you can do for me being located in NC for 2 keys and the cost

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
693 Posts
My apologies to all for not digging deeper into the Julie Emulator before citing it as a fairly accessible option.

It is an available option and the cost of the emulator is cheap; on the order of $35 USD.

It's application however is definitely not a trivial matter. It requires a significant amount of what can be called 'pretty deep geekdom'. Links below explain how it works. Most informative is the first one; the Usage/Application Video. This shows you what is required. After you recover from the shock of that, the second link shows the ancillary hardware to reprogram the IC from the ECU before re-soldering it to the ECU board from whence it was first removed. The X-Prog Programmer is another $99.

Julie Emulator Usage/Application Video:

X-Prog Programmer:

http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesale/xprog-m-v570-x-prog-box-ecu-programmer-with-usb-dongle-33744.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JOTwqqQ5QIVcRh9Ch2puQ3zEAAYASAAEgLJn_D_BwE

Julie Emulator Application Manual:

https://carlabimmo.com/manuals/immobilizers/mercedes/mercedes-4.pdf

The last link is the so called Usage Manual which is not nearly as clear as the video.

This is a serious endeavor that is not for the faint of heart. Sadly, if you have a DAS-X system and NO (zero) keys, then that IS what you're up against.

If you have a DAS-X system and you have at least one key that can start the car, then you have options and never let go of a key that can start a DAS-X car no matter if the remote key is useless. If the key can start the car then it contains the currently 'priceless' transponder RFID chip.

One can take out the transponder chip and mount it near the ignition somehow and then any metal key which will turn the ignition lock will start the car.

One can also rebuild a tattered old KR55 remote key and put all the guts into a new housing that can be obtained on ebay. There are some that have a narrower key than the W140/R129. I did get a pair of these and rebuilt a pair of R129 keys for a friend, but I did have to do some modifying to make the wider key work.

Lastly, below is a pic of some key blanks that I go on ebay that are correct for W140/R129. A good locksmith can mill the blanks using a MB key without even disassembling the remote key and make metal keys that work in the locks & ignition. Good to have as a backup with the dreaded close-assist trunk lid. God know how much pain that has caused W140 owners.

Hope this may help to add some clarity to this subject.

Someone responded to Alan's other post on this subject citing a deep procedure that he had gone thru. That WAS using the Julie emulator. Worth a review after watching the video.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alan,

You posted this earlier and got the answer about bypassing the DAS-X immobilizer system with the Julie emulator. That approach has a cost approaching maybe $200 to get yourself multiple keys.

You can be totally sure about one thing. This is that MB is in no particular hurry at all deal with this issue on a W140. If there's a 'lower than low' priority for them, this issue would be somewhere below that.
Daidnik,

I might have to go that route, getting the key blade from MB is contingent of finding an aftermarket programmable FOB and I have Googled that to death with no luck. Might just tow this beautiful car to the wreckers and get about $300 for it's metal value. For a car that is know to be the most engineered car in the world and they spent 1 billion dollars to design this S-Class, they sure didn't much care about it's lasting legacy and all due to a stupid key.

Not sure who I'm more pissed off at, me for losing the key or them for not providing simple service solutions, I mean come on MB!!!

On my way to the Toyota dealer :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daidnik,

I might have to go that route, getting the key blade from MB is contingent of finding an aftermarket programmable FOB and I have Googled that to death with no luck. Might just tow this beautiful car to the wreckers and get about $300 for it's metal value. For a car that is know to be the most engineered car in the world and they spent 1 billion dollars to design this S-Class, they sure didn't much care about it's lasting legacy and all due to a stupid key.

Not sure who I'm more pissed off at, me for losing the key or them for not providing simple service solutions, I mean come on MB!!!

Just something to consider. I recently picked up a '95 C Class. It came with one key and non functioning drivers door lock. Did a little bit of research and found that MB was no longer providing keys for these models, NLA. Called the local dealer anyway and was able to get a key from TX, that is where the "theft relevant" parts come from and ship to the dealer. Had it in two days and cost $25 USD. Now I know it is not the same key you need, but point is, I was lead to believe that my keys were NLA as well. Try to get in touch with someone in the "theft relevant" parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just something to consider. I recently picked up a '95 C Class. It came with one key and non functioning drivers door lock. Did a little bit of research and found that MB was no longer providing keys for these models, NLA. Called the local dealer anyway and was able to get a key from TX, that is where the "theft relevant" parts come from and ship to the dealer. Had it in two days and cost $25 USD. Now I know it is not the same key you need, but point is, I was lead to believe that my keys were NLA as well. Try to get in touch with someone in the "theft relevant" parts.
Also just found this, since key fobs can be reprogrammed, look for an old/used one, and have it reprogrammed at the dealer

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
693 Posts
Keep in mind that DAS (Drive Authorization System) went thru several iterations mid to late '90's. DAS-X started with '96 models (I think). When you have DAS-X things are much more difficult because of the added transponder (RFID) unit inside the remote key that is a completely separate thing from the remote key that opens the doors. The RFID is 'married' to the car for life and there are only so many possible 'marriages' that can happen for any one car. As far as I know, it is NOT possible to marry one of these chips from another car.

You may be able to get a remote key IR/RF transmitter married to allow opening of doors and trunk, but it wouldn't allow start of the car on a DAS-X system. The dealer is not going to be of any help for that case. Pre-'96 maybe'; '96 on for W140 is not going to happen with the dealer until replacement keys become available again (if ever).

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
693 Posts
Daidnik,

Alan,

The difficult part with the Julie Emulator is that part where the IC must be de-soldered from the ECU mother-board to allow access to specific memory registers with a hex-editor tool. That is what I would call 'deep geek', but it can be done and if you watch the video and pause at the hex-editor phase and look at the UI, you see the register addresses and all so that part is straightforward for someone familiar with hex (base-16) system.

I looked up P/N from my '99 S500 and cross-ref'd it with the literature for the emulator and found that it has the same square Motorola IC that is shown in the video.

On a hardware level though this kind of procedure is way past most 'mechanics'. I'm surprised at how deeply the 'IMMO' system is imbedded in the ECU (ECM) board at the IC (chip) level. As best as I can figure after watching the video a few times is that writing the 'FF' values to those 6 registers (I think) enables control over the IMMO system thru Star system to essentially turn it off and allow starting of the car without the RFID handshaking.

What is surprising and somewhat troubling is that there is enough of a market for the emulator for the company that makes them to exist.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,704 Posts
Also just found this, since key fobs can be reprogrammed, look for an old/used one, and have it reprogrammed at the dealer
Anybody that tells you that key fobs can be reprogrammed to lock/unlock another car is blowing smoke. There is a procedure to synchronize a new, factory programmed remote VIN matched to your car, but NOT a remote for another car. If the fob is not VIN matched to your car, it cannot be synchronized.

You can get and install a generic rf fob system to lock and unlock the car. However, unless you have a pre-DASx car ('95 and below), it will not allow your car to start.

If you have only one key or fob that can start the car, take out the RFID chip and tape it permanently next to the ignition switch NOW! Then a simple cut key can start the car. If you lost both keys, the Julie emulator is probably your only option for now.

The Julie system has been around for awhile. You need to find someone familiar with unsoldering chips from boards and reading them and reprogramming them, but that is fairly straightforward for anyone who repairs current electronics. But don't try to learn to do it on your car.

Jon

·
Registered
1983 300SD
51 Posts
. The RFID is 'married' to the car for life and there are only so many possible 'marriages' that can happen for any one car. As far as I know, it is NOT possible to marry one of these chips from another car.
I believe the W163 has the issue of not being able to delete key tracks that are no longer used to add new keys (I think there is a limit of 8?) but from everything I have heard it was only a problem for a couple years and all the others can be reprogrammed as needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My apologies to all for not digging deeper into the Julie Emulator before citing it as a fairly accessible option.

It is an available option and the cost of the emulator is cheap; on the order of $35 USD.

It's application however is definitely not a trivial matter. It requires a significant amount of what can be called 'pretty deep geekdom'. Links below explain how it works. Most informative is the first one; the Usage/Application Video. This shows you what is required. After you recover from the shock of that, the second link shows the ancillary hardware to reprogram the IC from the ECU before re-soldering it to the ECU board from whence it was first removed. The X-Prog Programmer is another $99.

Julie Emulator Usage/Application Video:

X-Prog Programmer:

http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesale/xprog-m-v570-x-prog-box-ecu-programmer-with-usb-dongle-33744.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JOTwqqQ5QIVcRh9Ch2puQ3zEAAYASAAEgLJn_D_BwE

Julie Emulator Application Manual:

https://carlabimmo.com/manuals/immobilizers/mercedes/mercedes-4.pdf

The last link is the so called Usage Manual which is not nearly as clear as the video.

This is a serious endeavor that is not for the faint of heart. Sadly, if you have a DAS-X system and NO (zero) keys, then that IS what you're up against.

If you have a DAS-X system and you have at least one key that can start the car, then you have options and never let go of a key that can start a DAS-X car no matter if the remote key is useless. If the key can start the car then it contains the currently 'priceless' transponder RFID chip.

One can take out the transponder chip and mount it near the ignition somehow and then any metal key which will turn the ignition lock will start the car.

One can also rebuild a tattered old KR55 remote key and put all the guts into a new housing that can be obtained on ebay. There are some that have a narrower key than the W140/R129. I did get a pair of these and rebuilt a pair of R129 keys for a friend, but I did have to do some modifying to make the wider key work.

Lastly, below is a pic of some key blanks that I go on ebay that are correct for W140/R129. A good locksmith can mill the blanks using a MB key without even disassembling the remote key and make metal keys that work in the locks & ignition. Good to have as a backup with the dreaded close-assist trunk lid. God know how much pain that has caused W140 owners.

Hope this may help to add some clarity to this subject.

Someone responded to Alan's other post on this subject citing a deep procedure that he had gone thru. That WAS using the Julie emulator. Worth a review after watching the video.

Hello Daidnik,

I looked through the manual and could not find S-Class W140 S500 1997 5.0.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts