Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500 and 1997 Mercedez Benz S320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I came across some information about changing the chip in my 1997 S320 to a performance chip. Apparently these chips can get up to an additional horse power, a few gallons more per mile, lower emissions.

Of course all this sounds great...for roughly $70...one would ask "why not?"

Then I checked around the forums with no clear cut answer.

Did find something about ECU chips, but not entirely clear I understand the difference amongst these chips or chip types.

So...here are my questions for anyone that can shed some light on this topic:
1. Would you recommend changing to a performance chip?
2. If so, any recommendations on where to get one?
3. If so, any details I should be aware of?

Any additional feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
from what i hear it runs ur car alot harder and ur more susceptible to have problems. i wanted to get one for my 420. intake exhaust and a chip is all i hear thats possible without dumping 1000s of dollars into it. a dude told me it would cost 10000 a turbo to do it the right way. maybe new plugs injectors wires you know the best of everything. any clearer answers please let me know too

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
I can only recomend this chip ,1st thing you will notice if you have that feature installed, is that the gearbox now shifts without the cold shift delay ,all the rest that this chip does as well ,i can pass on that ,i only installed it to get rid of that anoying shifting delay ,no problems to report with this chip until today ,check the date of the 1st post on the link below ,that's when i installed it ,couple a days earlier .
Ciao :thumbsup:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1486196-ecu-chip-installation.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts