Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1997 S320 LWB with about 105,000 miles. I am going to have a pre-buy inspection done by an independent Mercedes shop before I do anything but had a few quick questions about items the seller disclosed. I have not seen the car in person yet because it is about an hour away.

- He mentioned that the AC blows cold but that "he feels like the MAX fan is not blowing as hard as he thought it should". He thought the regulator may need replacing which he thought was inexpensive (I thought I had heard otherwise).

- He mentioned some rust on the driver door frame. Concerning or not too bad since it is 15 years old?

- Did this car come standard with the rear sun shade and double pane windows or are those not standard?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
- Did this car come standard with the rear sun shade and double pane windows or are those not standard?
Rear sunshades are standard in some markets, and Double pane windows are standard every market.

Also go see the car, some of the people here get a few PPI's before they buy.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
829 Posts
I am looking at a 1997 S320 LWB with about 105,000 miles. I am going to have a pre-buy inspection done by an independent Mercedes shop before I do anything but had a few quick questions about items the seller disclosed. I have not seen the car in person yet because it is about an hour away.

- He mentioned that the AC blows cold but that "he feels like the MAX fan is not blowing as hard as he thought it should". He thought the regulator may need replacing which he thought was inexpensive (I thought I had heard otherwise).

- He mentioned some rust on the driver door frame. Concerning or not too bad since it is 15 years old?

Thanks in advance for any help.
the regulator is not cheap but many people have tried the ebay regulators that fail in a few months so just spend the extra hundred dollers and get one from the dealer.
the rust needs to be taken care of if your planning to keep the car long. but thats about normal for that year.
yes the double pane glass was standard on long wheelbase US cars the rear sunshade was a option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know the approximate cost of the regulator repair? I would certainly go see the car before I bought it but would likely have the pre-purchase inspection done before I went to see it. If that came back poor, I would move on.

Do you really think multiple pre-purchase inspections are necessary if I take it to an independent Mercedes specialty shop?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz S500
929 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,650 Posts
My car (97 S320) seems like mis-firing during start. battery is new. 60k original miles. what could be the issue.
Search or New Threat is your best friend .
Welcome to Benzworld .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 S320 (89,xxx miles)
141 Posts
If you have basic tools and basic car skills, the fan regulator is easy to replace yourself.

I replaced my fan regulator with a cheap $20.00 unit from China, it failed shortly after the first car wash. I ordered a second unit; this time I used silicon to seal the cheap plastic housing around the edges before installing and I used 'Artic Silver 5' thermal-paste (for computers) instead of the white watery crap that came with the unit. It's still working fine almost a year later.

So it seems to me that the cheap Chinese units have proper electric internals, it's the housing that is terrible, but can be made to be reliable. Time will tell though.

-- This is the regulator I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290841948106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
-- This is the thermal paste: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111194187341?lpid=82

The housing is cheaply made and not sealed well, so be absolutely sure to run some waterproof sealer along the edges of the black housing and in any holes/crakcs where moisture could get in. I ran a small bead of bathroom sealer and then used my finger to press it between the cracks. Good luck is you take this path!

·
Registered
1997 s320, 1994 E320 Cab, 1989 300ce (parting out soon)
525 Posts
If you have basic tools and basic car skills, the fan regulator is easy to replace yourself.

I replaced my fan regulator with a cheap $20.00 unit from China, it failed shortly after the first car wash. I ordered a second unit; this time I used silicon to seal the cheap plastic housing around the edges before installing and I used 'Artic Silver 5' thermal-paste (for computers) instead of the white watery crap that came with the unit. It's still working fine almost a year later.

So it seems to me that the cheap Chinese units have proper electric internals, it's the housing that is terrible, but can be made to be reliable. Time will tell though.

-- This is the regulator I used: Heater Fan Blower Resistor Regulator Control Motor for 92 99 Mercedes Benz W140 | eBay
-- This is the thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 Compound 3 5g Gram Thermal Paste Grease 20 Uses High Density | eBay

The housing is cheaply made and not sealed well, so be absolutely sure to run some waterproof sealer along the edges of the black housing and in any holes/crakcs where moisture could get in. I ran a small bead of bathroom sealer and then used my finger to press it between the cracks. Good luck is you take this path!

i bought the 30 dollar cheapie from china on ebay... it lasted 3 months... then i bought a 50 dollar unit from a better supplier... it's been on the car for about a year..... i do however question the fan speed....it seems like it should be blowing a bit harder at max..... but then again... it is a huge car and we live in the deep south.... overall i am satisfied......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400180696924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ... this is the 50 dollar unit

it takes about 30 minutes to change.... and you can do it in street clothes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts