Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Mercedes E300D Diesel with mechanical ignition key,
I have temp controls for Passenger and another for the Drive. I just replace the whole a/c system, evaporator,compressor,condenser and expansion valve and recharge the system with fresh Freon gas and the air control unit does not get the temperature below 72 degrees so the compressor does not kick in
before the a/c was working perfect but compressor went bad and got locked,
any help on how to reset this climate control will be really appreciated,
Raul thanks

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
19,901 Posts
Hey Raul. I'll bump you along to whatever E class section this is. You'll get more help in the section for the car on this problem, I think.

Can I recommend this too please? Helpful for members to see your vehicle details beside posts rather than having to scan for it - Complete your Profile

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550
269 Posts
The climate control unit may be bad. I did the same thing in a C280 Sport and when I had the climate control panel out, I dropped it and then the system wouldn't work. I got a new one from the dealer at that time.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 225k miles
10,148 Posts
Thanks Tony,
You right it started to smoke yesterday and I already pulled out of the car, I will get one next week and post what happens
If you do not know why the climate control unit started smoking, the next one will do too.

Why did you have to replace the original climate controller ? They are hardy and protected against shorts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mechanic was trying to reset with the scanner and utube videos and could not do it and after I left the shop about 5 miles away start to smoke and smell the burn cables, seems the short was inside because both connections seems to be ok
was thinking to take it to some one else

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,148 Posts
I still do not get it.

You had replaced the whole system and the a/c did not work right?
The mechanic tried to reset the controller and the controller got burnt ?
Did you replace the burnt controller and now it does not cool,
or
are you going to replace the controller and trying to find out how to reset the controller after you install it ? ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right mrboca that,s what I planning to do , replace the climate control and reset it but i need to find out how to reset it so I won't get damaged or burn it again

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,148 Posts
Right mrboca that,s what I planning to do , replace the climate control and reset it but i need to find out how to reset it so I won't get damaged or burn it again
There is no specific reset mechanism for the climate controller. You can reset individual fault codes till all codes are removed.

Here is what you need to do to clear the codes.

Start from item 3.0 in the list. It shows you how to read and clear codes.

Having fault codes and clearing them has nothing to do with burn issue you have. You cannot burn the unit by not resetting the codes.

You must also realize that you may have to version code the climate controller, as any used one may not be programmed for your car's model and model year.

To do that you need to go to the version code menu.

For your car: P1 must be 08, and P2 can be either 136 or 152 (depending on if you want the controller ignore the refrigerant pressure sensor reading or not).

Are you sure that the mechanic did not screw the wiring when he changed the evaporator ( as you mentioned in your post) ? Are you sure he used the correct compressor ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No that part is good compressor was identical the evaporator have 2 connections and those are good and system is full charge with freon and he check and is not likings there ( with the hvac machine)

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,148 Posts
No that part is good compressor was identical the evaporator have 2 connections and those are good and system is full charge with freon and he check and is not likings there ( with the hvac machine)
It is not only connection to the evaporator temp sensor. To remove and replace the evaporator is a major surgery. Major parts of the dash and the components are removed. If the mechanic could not read the codes from the climate controller with a proper scanner, then there is something wrong either with the connections, or with the controller. If the controller worked perfectly before, why would it burned after complete a/c system overhaul ?

·
W210 Section Moderator
10,148 Posts
My mistake sorry not evaporator was replaced I was thinking of the canister next to the condenser
I thought so. Else if you had the get the evaporator replaced it would have cost you more than the car's worth (considering replacing broken brittle plastics).

BTW, the item you mention is called "receiver/drier".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts