Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1997 E420

Tags
e420 w210
4K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnnycash11 
#1 ·
Howdy folks ! New to the forums here.
Just purchased a 97 E420 and it does not run.
She cranks and will run with gas being put into the throttle body.
I changed the spark plugs and the whole k40 assembly but still nothing
I have no flashing lights in the mirror.
I don't know what else todo.

#2 ·
Howdy folks ! New to the forums here.
Just purchased a 97 E420 and it does not run.
She cranks and will run with gas being put into the throttle body.
I changed the spark plugs and the whole k40 assembly but still nothing
I have no flashing lights in the mirror.
I don't know what else todo.
Welcome to BW Johnny,

Moving you along to the w210 chassis forum.

Any scan for saved error codes?
You recently purchased - no CEL? or ??? the dreaded mask the CEL trick by sellers.
Start by checking the Fpressure at the rail.
Could also be the Fpump / filter.

The other great members in w210 will chime in.

#3 ·
I have 50 psi going to the fuel rail but the injectors are not pulsating.
I hear the fuel pump prime
My suspicion from what I've read is the crankshaft sensor
I also hear a weird clicking noice from the throttle body gotta figure what that is too.
When I get it to run on putting gas in the throttle body I get a ESL light on the dash and that's all.
No CEL I have also run a check with my OBD scanner and get not one code.

#4 ·
Could be a defective check valve in the fuel pump, and/or maybe a flaky fuel pump relay.

Here's some good info for you to review:

#6 ·
I doubt it (uneducated, roll-of-the-dice-guess)
Start with the simple stuff first.
Next would be the pump, If you decide to swap it out, make sure you get new oem/pierburg - no generic garbage/ no used ones (seals tend to dry out from sitting around, giving you love leaks after)

#7 ·
Check that the injectors get power from fuse 3 on K40 when the key is in position 2.

I do not believe the engine will run with the gas in the throttle body if the signal from the CKP (crankshaft pos sensor) is missing, as the ECU will not know when to fire the plugs.

#14 ·
No, if CKP was bad, the car would not start on starter fluid at all. The ECU has to know the correct position of the engine before it fires the spark plugs. So the fact that it runs on starter fluid means it's good.

You are immobilized, lights flashing on the mirror?

#17 ·
The camshaft hall-effect sensor is powered from the same rail that powers the fuel injectors and other components. It comes from Fuse 3 on the K40 relay. I would start checking power on Fuse 3 (both sides) when the key is in run (pos 2) and go from there to the injectors.

I would also check if the red / green LEDs on the mirror are working (car locked = red, unlocked = green for 3 seconds). Alternating red green for 30 seconds after the ignition on is no start enable).

If the K40 is replaced make sure it is replaced with a brand new one. K40s from a junkyard bring in problems of the donor car to yours.

#19 ·
Changed the CPS and nothing, I'm pulling injectors and fuel rail and going to see what's up there. Could the wiring harness cause a short at the injectors or no ? Since the motor only runs with my little spray nossle with 93 I can only guess that the injectors aren't pumping. Which makes no sense since I have fuel pressure at the rail.

#26 ·
Gonna try to check the 12v again to injectors, only reason why I say I could have wrong injectors is because it looks like someone was there before the plugs weren't facing all the same way all of them were turned to different positions. The ones that are on there now say SIMENS DEKA

#28 ·
transfluid is fine, I changed injectors, fuel pump, and filter. Flushed the tank the rail and the system put 93 into it and it ran for 30 seconds then died. Tried to restart and all it does is crank and jump like if it wants to start. I am starting to think its in limp mode as when it ran I hit the gas pedal and it doesn't do anything I literally floored it and it barely moved.
Could it be the throttle position sensor ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.