Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
The transmitter/receiver is actually in the phone itself.

·
Registered
MB E420 C240W
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you don't have the handset in mind if you do -that's not right. If you dont - where is the phone box itself?
I have block diagram showing 3 modumes handset, handsfree indash and tranciever. unfortunately no location - i hate guessing.
Help if you know where it is.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The system has a few items, The handset in the console (TX/RX) a cable that includes the antenna, audio, charging, etc, goes to the trunk for the support hardware, the stuff that integrates it to work with the radio display and keypad, and modules that allow the handset to connect to the antenna.
http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
The impression that I have is that there is no realistic way to use the integrated equipment on a pre-1999 vehicle with a modern digital cell phone.

Peter, would you agree with that assessment?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
RE: 1997 E420 integrated cell phone(update)

The system has a few items, The modern 97 or so at least in some models. The handset in the console is the(TX/RX) a cable that includes the antenna, audio, charging, etc, goes to the trunk for the support hardware, the stuff that integrates it to work with the radio display and keypad, and modules that allow the handset to connect to the antenna.
There was an old "analog" unit where the TX was in the trunk, and a handset in the console, one was made by Motorola the other by OKI (out of business). This handset had a keypad and display on it, and a control under the mirror. The TX was located behind the left wheel liner on a metal plate, there was another version that was bolted to the trunk floor also in the area. There are only a few rural carriers that support analog, and most will not activate them since those channels are destined for GSM service. I would expect no support from MB or Motorola as to parts since that technology stems from the early 90s and the hand helds were phased in just about mid 90s.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
amcnair - 4/19/2006 10:02 AM

The impression that I have is that there is no realistic way to use the integrated equipment on a pre-1999 vehicle with a modern digital cell phone.

Peter, would you agree with that assessment?
MB sold a kit that would allow a V60 and such to replace a TIMEPORT and STAR-TAC they still required a MB handset proprietary to a specific carrier. I dont think even MIK Box has an adapter, and blue tooth is clumsy!

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
RE: 1997 E420 integrated cell phone(update)

Peter Guenther - 4/19/2006 10:04 AM

There was an old "analog" unit where the TX was in the trunk, and a handset in the console, one was made by Motorola the other by OKI (out of business).
This OKI handset is the one my car came with. It's cabled to the console with a traditional phone jack, and has the clunky interface in the dash under the radio head unit.

I have removed the handset and its cradle, but haven't attempted to remove the dash unit as it would need to be replaced by a storage cubby.

As much as I would love to connect my Razr to it (Bluetooth or wired), I can't imagine it would ever be possible. It's like trying to install a jet engine on a DC-3. The technologies just don't mesh.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If you have the full featured control, with a keypad on one side and the display on the other it might be removeable.
On my 92 S with the OKI I removed everything except the cabling. The control was held in a frame inside the cubby, there are two plastic tabs that catch in the frame indicated by the notches in the top of the control. I just dont remember your dash layout, but the frame was screwed into the top of the cubby on my S, and was removeable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts