Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E-320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 E320 US W210 ....

The remote key will no longer lock/unlock doors after I left my headlights on and the battery drained out. The remote key starts the car fine. I can lock and unlock doors with the on-console button. The sensor on the mirror/trunk flashes ok when the remote key is pressed. I tried two resync methods and neither worked. Any suggestions. TIA

A. press key remote button twice and place key in position II of ignition within 30 secs --- DID NOT WORK

B. disconnect battery negative, pump brakes for 20 seconds, reconnect negative, enter security code in radio, place IR remote key in position II --- DID NOT WORK (I did not turn wheels left and right or resync windows/power roof. I did not pump brakes for more than 20 secs.)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
You would need to resynchronize the remote function of the key, this is explained in the owner's manual :)

Have you changed a new battery in the remote control as well?

To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock. Door closed. No need to press button. No need to turn. Wait for a few seconds. The remote control should once again be operational.

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
1997 E320 US W210 ....

A. press key remote button twice and place key in position II of ignition within 30 secs --- DID NOT WORK
The 1997 E320 key works differently than the 1998 or later ones.

When you did A, did you aim at one of the sensors? Also double check to make sure the battery in the key works by holding the button more than 1 second to see if the light comes on.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

When you did A, did you aim at one of the sensors? Also double check to make sure the battery in the key works by holding the button more than 1 second to see if the light comes on.
Sorry prof, I forgot, I have read this somewhere too.

Hi Msobug, one of the sensor is the rearview mirror in the cabin.

·
Registered
1997 E-320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

@loubapache - Yes I aimed it at the sensor in the rear view . The remote battery is brand new and the light comes on.

Also left the key on in position 0 for several seconds .... DID NOT WORK.

Am going to try the battery disconnect/reconnect and resync again.

·
Registered
1997 E-320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing seems to work

... exact sequence of events that caused problem ...

== left lights on and battery went dead
== jumpstarted mercedes
== remote no longer locks/unlocks
== sensor on rearview and trunk blinks red and green when remote is pressed
== can lock/unlock from center console

... none of the following worked ...

== replaced batteries on remote -- DID NOT WORK
== pointed remote at rear view mirror receiver, pressed remote twice, placed remote key in ignition within 30 seconds and turned key to position II --- DID NOT WORK
== disconnected negative of battery, pumped brake for 30 secs, reconnnected battery, entered radio code -- DID NOT WORK

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Do you have the second key? If yes, do both keys not work?

If you do not have the second key, it is time to order one. Not only is it the cheaper way to find out if it is the key problem or the remote receiver module problem, but you need two working keys anyway. These keys are cheaper than the smart keys, I think.

With one working key, if the key authorization chip has problem, you will be stranded.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,490 Posts
i dont see recharging of the car battery on your list of to-do. jump starting
isn't likely to be sufficient to restore battery to proper health. verify proper
fluid level, check specific gravity, then trickle charge overnight

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Agreeing with raymond about your battery. There have been several reports of strange things happening with our cars that were due to a failing battery. The alternator does not produce enough charge by itself, but it doesn't sound like you are trying that anyway.

Also agreeing with loubapache that you need a 2nd key. When these cars are bought new, they come with 2 remote keys and valet key. The remotes are somewhat fragile, and all it takes is to drop one on a hard surface and they are damaged, if not ruined.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I 100% agree with choppere320. I had this exact problem today and two days ago because I kept blowing a fuse when I changing out the trunk light and touching the ground. Below the rear seat next to the battery there will be a fuse box and you will want to change the 15-amp fuse. There will be two of them but check both to know which one is blown and it will instantly be fixed!!!!!

Before my dad changed the fuse which he instantly knew what I did when I told him I was changing the bulb because I know nothing about electricity. Anyways, when I would try unlock or lock the car the lights and everything would blink green and red but nothing would happen. Well, you have your answer, now go get it fixed!:D

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320 Avantgarde
46 Posts
I've had the exact same issue...Let me know if this works for you

Nothing seems to work

... exact sequence of events that caused problem ...

== left lights on and battery went dead
== jumpstarted mercedes
== remote no longer locks/unlocks
== sensor on rearview and trunk blinks red and green when remote is pressed
== can lock/unlock from center console

... none of the following worked ...

== replaced batteries on remote -- DID NOT WORK
== pointed remote at rear view mirror receiver, pressed remote twice, placed remote key in ignition within 30 seconds and turned key to position II --- DID NOT WORK
== disconnected negative of battery, pumped brake for 30 secs, reconnnected battery, entered radio code -- DID NOT WORK

I had the exact same issue and tried everything. Not being the one to give up and back down from a challenge, it took me six months to fix the problem. I am a member of three different forums and I found 20 or more different re-sync procedures for our cars depending on the type of key. If you have a DAS 2 style key (Switch blade style with a single big round button) then there might be a final step that is missing from all of the procedures.

I fixed it using these steps:

1. With all of the doors closed and unlocked, press the button on the remote twice while aiming it at the rear view mirror sensor.
2. Put the key into the ignition and turn to position 1, then 2, and then start the car. I counted a two second interval at each step of turning the key.
If all goes to plan, you should get a flashing green light from the mirror.

Turn off the car and try the remote from inside the car.

I, same as you tried everything but nothing seemed to work. Finally I stumbled on this while combining a couple of different methods. Feel free to send me a private message if you need any clarification on this process and please let me know if you have any success.

Kind regards

Drew

·
Registered
1997 E-320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I 100% agree with choppere320. I had this exact problem today and two days ago because I kept blowing a fuse when I changing out the trunk light and touching the ground. Below the rear seat next to the battery there will be a fuse box and you will want to change the 15-amp fuse. There will be two of them but check both to know which one is blown and it will instantly be fixed!!!!!

Before my dad changed the fuse which he instantly knew what I did when I told him I was changing the bulb because I know nothing about electricity. Anyways, when I would try unlock or lock the car the lights and everything would blink green and red but nothing would happen. Well, you have your answer, now go get it fixed!:D
It is Fixed !!! Mikey33, choppere320 --- you were right it was a blown fuse 15A fuse, under the rear seat fuse bank. Thanks a lot.

DrewW210 - Thanks to you too ... I followed your procedure after I changed the fuse.

Now both keys work. Awesome forum this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts
What an embarrassed moment

The remote key wouldn't turn at all, and remote door lock and unlock function was dead as well.

The boot would open by pressing the switch on the console but not by the remote. And fuel lid can be opend by pushing as well.
Well, PSE seems to be ok.

I replaced the battery for the remote and did re-sync by inserting the remote key into the ignition and leaving for a few seconds after closing all the doors.

Still not working.
Red-indicator on the remote flash when pressed. However, the brightness differs among the buttons.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts
The fuse box does not have a lid and is covered with dust

I took every singly fuse and cleaned them.

It is a quite big hole (5cm diametre) and I think it is for the drainage of any fluid collected in the floor just like the boot area.

I can also see the tube from the battery but it does not go through the big hole.

No. 15 and 41 seem to be related to this incident.
Anyway, I may swap them with new ones and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
5 cm sounds much too large to be intentional. Since you see rust surrounding it I would say the floor is rusting out and the hole might also be the cause of the powder you see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.