Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Mercedes E320 that was involved in a front end collision. After the collision, the car will not start.

The fuel pump runs when the key is turned on, I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, positive battery power at the fuel injectors.

The car will run on starting fluid or if I sprinkle gasoline into the air intake so I have spark. If I run a jumper wire from ground to an injector, the car will attempt to start (I assume that that injector is spraying as it should, just not at the correct time of course).

All seems OK with the exception that I get no ground signal from the control computer to make the fuel injector spray.

Is there something that has to be reset after a collision ? some sort of safety device ?

I have locked and unlocked the doors several times with my key remote. The red and green lights on the rear view mirror do not flash when I crank the car to attempt to start it.

PLEASE HELP !

·
Registered
1997 E320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what sensors does the ecm rely on to fire the spark plugs and send the ground to the fuelo injector to make it spray ? Does the crankshaft position sensor control the ingition firing and the camshaft position sensor control when the injector sprays fuel ? or is it more complicated than that ?

·
Registered
1997 E320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone on this forum have experience utilizing the justanswer.com service where you agree to pay a mercedes mechanic for an answer to your mechanical question ? I'm just wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with that website ? https://secure.justanswer.com

·
Registered
1997 e320
8 Posts
good guys just make sure he is the expert on your car. ask the question first up front. you dont want a do it all general mechanic...

·
Registered
2 Posts
97 E320 it had no injector pulse MERCEDES-BENZ 1991-1997

I have a 1997 Mercedes E320 that was involved in a front end collision. After the collision, the car will not start.

The fuel pump runs when the key is turned on, I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, positive battery power at the fuel injectors.

The car will run on starting fluid or if I sprinkle gasoline into the air intake so I have spark. If I run a jumper wire from ground to an injector, the car will attempt to start (I assume that that injector is spraying as it should, just not at the correct time of course).

All seems OK with the exception that I get no ground signal from the control computer to make the fuel injector spray.

Is there something that has to be reset after a collision ? some sort of safety device ?

I have locked and unlocked the doors several times with my key remote. The red and green lights on the rear view mirror do not flash when I crank the car to attempt to start it.

PLEASE HELP !
I have a 97 E320 it had no injector pulse and after I got it to get injector pulse and run it caught on fire It is a bad ENGINE WIRING HARNESS see this report on it https://sites.google.com/site/infoage1/mercedes-benz-1991-1996-engine-wiring-harness-defect send me a email and I will send you pic's of it

And I got the injector pulse back after fineing the ring it reads the key was unplugged and I plugged it back in

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
Yes , make sure that the transponder ring around the ignition switch is plugged in to DAS module and working . If the key is not recognized, your car will crank but will not start.

And also make sure that the battery voltage when cranking, does not go down below 11V.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
Oh fellas....... there is a fuel shut off that trips in an accident. Needs to be reset. Lower kick panel.
There is one ? The fuel pump is controlled by the FP relay which is in k40 relay module (relay 1) over f5 (15 amps), and the FP relay is energized by the ECU for 1997 e320.

Nothing in between....

·
Registered
'00 E320 Sedan
33 Posts
fuel shut off (FSOV)

This one is working for Electric fuel pump circuit on every car that had impact to FSOV which means no fuel(start) at all when FSOV activiate(after accident) and need to reset. Am I wrong? May be, M-Bz are exception?:devil 00320

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
fuel shut off (FSOV)

This one is working for Electric fuel pump circuit on every car that had impact to FSOV which means no fuel(start) at all when FSOV activiate(after accident) and need to reset. Am I wrong? May be, M-Bz are exception?:devil 00320
If you can show me (picture) where it is in your car, I will check if mine has too:).

Fuel Shut Off "function" can be achieved by a separate inertia detection device, or by electronic relay control by the computer.

K

·
0 Posts
Experience with just answers

I had a good experience with asking Marty on just answers on my MB 2000 e320 with ignition issues. He was right on.

K

·
0 Posts
Looking at these threads from 2014 I am disappointed no one has answers for these peoples problem of no injector pulse coming out of the ECU.I am amazed that nobody had an answer as I was looking hard for the answer. It seems somebody would have answers on this as I am in 2018 asking the same question.Would someone be so kind as to help me out of this unfortunate situation.
To me, it appears to be injectors drivers bad in the ECU. MMy question now is does anyone know if I get another ECU with correct part number will the ECU need programmed to the cars existing key or FOB? PLEASE PLEASE HELP>Klef

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
MMy question now is does anyone know if I get another ECU with correct part number will the ECU need programmed to the cars existing key or FOB? PLEASE PLEASE HELP>Klef
The answer is yes. But a used one is locked to the donor car's own ignition switch module, so it is "generally" not possible to re-program it. Practically, you get the Engine module, key fob(s), ignition switch module, and the electronic steering lock from a used car as a set.

A new (virgin) one, can be programmed at the dealer.

My questions to you are :

1) have you asked your question to Marty ?

2) What makes you think that the fuel injector drivers are bad ?

K

·
0 Posts
RBOCA,
Sorry up front on this long response. Thank you very much for your support answering my question(s).

The answer to your questions are here.
#1 Yes, That is if you are referring to Marty from Just Answers. Marty had the same answer as you and I respect Marty as well as you on this answer. I am hoping that it may be that the ECU that I ordered off ebay with the same part number somehow will work. I am also going back through the check list to be sure I did not over look something.

The #2 answer is the ecu may be shorted as described here is the reason I am going this direction now. Cheapest option.
One item on the list is the signal wire (middle wire) from cam sensor has 12 volts on it when back probing it. When I unplug this sensor the volts on middle terminal goes to 0 volts.

question 1.Should there be 5 volts on the signal wire from or to cam sensor and 12 volts on hot red/ black wire? I have 12 volts on the hot wire as mentioned before and a good ground on the 3rd terminal and from what I read it should have 5. This is coming from the ECU so thinking the ecu is shorted out. This wire does trigger to 0 volts when the sensor is removed and still plugged in I put a socket on the sensor and the signal goes from 12 v to 0 volts so the sensor should be good now. Is this a correct analogy?

I am checking for ground signal out or near ground as the signal to ground pulse the injectors. Since the signal is getting to the ECU even though it may not be correct volts at this time means either the driver is not working or volts are not right to trigger the output to ground inside the box. I know reprogramming the used ECU may be a problem but for $23 bucks its much cheaper then $300 plus. At ;east I can see if it may have 5 volts to cam sensor instead of 12. I wanted to point out I have 12 volts at the injector input wire and the ground wire varies on voltage each time I check them it seems. Going to verify this voltage again.

question 2
What should I see on the injector ground or signal wire (down stream wire from injector after 12 volts goes through injectors.

Other than buying the complete ignition system or reprogramming the box through an auto computer reprogramming company, I will continue to look for the problem. I saw on one thread where a person was in an accident and then he lost his injector pulse. The follow up does not tell what caused this problem.
question 3. Maybe I have some device holding my injectors from pulsing?

My hope is to have your support and expertise to help me find the problem so I can fix it. If its the ECU then would need programmed so this is not feasible at this time and only done by auto computer re programmers who may or may not be trusting or have much warranty.
Kleff

K

·
0 Posts
mrboca,
There is a lot in the last email post or thread so let me know where I need to clarify things. Sorry it gets confusing when I rewrote it 3 times. Kleff

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
What is the model and model year of your car ? please update your profile to reflect it. You mention you discussed with Marty 2000 E320 issues. Is this the car your question is related to ?

I do not know about 2000 but for 1997 the cam sensor is powered by 12V together with the fuel injectors.

The fuel injectors are energized when their solenoids are energized (by applying a pulsed ground signal) by the ECU. No ground = no fuel injection. Typically the signal across the fuel injectors are monitored by a scope (train of pulses).

Figures 3 and 4 are how the injector pulses look like with a scope at closed throttle and wide open throttle.

For the camshaft position sensor testing (checking the voltages on the connector etc. you can follow the the link below. It is for W211, but should be the same for W210 for Hall effect sensor.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W211/60-FUEL-Camshaft_Position_Sensor_Testing/60-FUEL-Camshaft_Position_Sensor_Testing.htm

What seems to be the problem ? do you have starting issues ? crank but no start ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have locked and unlocked the doors several times with my key remote. The red and green lights on the rear view mirror do not flash when I crank the car to
I have also a merc e280 same problem did you ever get your car started

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have locked and unlocked the doors several times with my key remote. The red and green lights on the rear view mirror do not flash when I crank the car to
I have also a merc e280 same problem did you ever get your car started

1 - 20 of 20 Posts