Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will do my very best to explain my issue and look forward to your suggestions.

We have a 1997 E300 with 170K on her that my wife drives 110+ miles a day with. The past few weeks we have noticed that it would have problems shifting from 2-3 while cold outside. It has gotten worse & worse. It also happens while the car is warm if you place it in park then back in OD. If you go from P to OD sometimes it runs to a high RPM then clunk into 3rd. I have also noticed that if you go from Park into 4th then it shifts fine. It only seams to happen when you go from P to OD and also from OD to N then back to OD. Any suggestions please?

Thank you!

Thor

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Have you changed the fluid in it? That's a good place to start.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
You need to find a transmission shop with diagnostic equipment to read the MB Transmission fault codes. With that read you will find out what is producing the shifting problem.

FYI A local transmission shop without the MB diagnostics equipment will create more guess work and loads of shouda wouda couda issues that will be expensive.

Not a simple issue!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Fluids were replaced with what exactly ?

If the shop used the new "backwards capatible" MB tranny fluid (another MB big mistake) and if this was a pan-pull, so you ended up with a mix of new-new and old, on top of the new-new really is a no no with high milage tranny - you might consider a 2nd full tranny fluid change (original MB fluid) and SOON, very very soon.

Miss my priviledged Bull Valley upbringing, life was simpler then. My Dad with his Jag XJ120, me with my Alfa Spyder, and my younger brother with his Spitfire

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'd probably next try resetting the transmission adaptations. Be sure it's fully warmed up when you do so, then drive around normally (avoid freeways, you want it to relearn shift patterns) for a half hour or so before shutting it down for the night.

·
Registered
1997 E300
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 5K miles later. When I put my E300 in overdrive it still has shifting problems and stays in 1st. When I put it in 4th it shifts fine. After some time I can put it in OD and most of the time is shifts ok again. I noticed several nights ago when I put it in OD that the overdrive light on the shift column was not lit and it did not shift correctly. Then when I shifted into OD and shook the shifter so the OD light came on it shifted perfectly. The 4th gear light on the column works fine (as well as 3-2-1-R and P) .

So in short if the OD light on the column is not lit when you put it in OD it will not shift right. If the light is on all is fine. Any suggestions on what parts are needed to correct this? BTW I was incorrect on the year. I have a 1998 E300, not a 1997.

Thanks,

Thor

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I took some advice and deleted what I was going to suggest.

I have decided to wait an additional 5K miles to see if the problem goes away--- a tyranny Epiphany

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Get the tyranny properly scanned. That way you will at least know what's going on!! The question to ask is "Does you diagnostic equipment plug into the 38 pin connector and will it read the MB transmission codes-"----if he says yes make sure you get a copy of the report. If he stammers or runs for a prayer rug----- you run away!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts